Chapter 22

Jard closes the door behind himself as he nods to the guard stationed at the end of the short hallway to the main corridor that runs the length of the Fortress along the cliff edge. The guards and the heavy workers were the first to see the need to return to the old ways of getting the substance that they need directly from the still warm Moles. The young ones, fresh from the initiation rites, were eager to experience the thrill of the chase and the glory of the capture and rapture as they drank the fresh warm blood, so they were the easiest to turn to Jard's new order.

He smiles contentedly, showing his sharp teeth as his scaled lips curl up. The number of new followers is growing by the period, as even some of the higher placed educated Shril's allow themselves to dream of the chase and the primal need that they have suppressed almost all their lives.

He carries on down the central corridor to the very end, away from the administration part of the Fortress, where the cells for the Moles have been dug out of the rock of the mountain itself. Most of the cells are large for temporarily holding large groups of Moles till the processing starts, which is traditionally done every seven periods. He passes all those on his way to the smaller single cells deeper into the back of the detention area. The guard that stands at the very back in front of the steel banded wooden door that even a Shril would not be able to force his way through, snaps to attention as he sees Jard coming.

Jard stops and turns to the large Shril, from one of the warrior houses. "Has she been quiet?"

The Shril shakes his head. "No, the crying and sobbing is almost too much to take. That is why I am standing guard here instead of in front of her door. There is no exit from the single cell area, and she is the only prisoner right now, so I did not think it would be a problem."

"That is OK, I don't know if I could put up with their weakness for long and would rather put a slow end to the noise myself," smiles Jard.

The guard smiles as he thinks about the idea. "Soon we will be able to do just that. I must admit that it takes all my control not to step into the larger cells and feast on the Moles as we did in the old days."

Jard smiles as he hears the Shril's confession, because it is one, he has been hearing a lot of over the last couple of cycles, and even more now that the time is getting near. He steps up to him and places his heavy scaled hand on his shoulder looking directly into his bright red eyes. "Just a little longer. The female and her male partner will be the first Moles that will be hunted so we can then usher in the new era. So please have patience, it will not be long now."

The guard smiles and nods his understanding, as Jard points to the door. "Has the water I requested been sent to the guards table inside?"

"Yes, it arrived a turn ago. Will it calm her down and stop the wailing noise?"

Jard smiles as he thinks about it. "It will not calm her down, but it will change the noises she makes, which I think you will find easier to listen to."

"Anything would be better than the continues sobbing," concedes the guard, as he produces a large key and unlocks the heavy door to the inner group of cells.

Jard steps through, and right away sees the metal pitcher of spiced water and a wooden cup on the table to the right of the door. The guard follows him in and takes up position against the door they just stepped through.

Jard stops and reaches out for the key to the cell that Evian has been secured in. He takes the key and opens the door to the small cell, furnished with only a single mattress laying on the floor in the far corner. Evian stands and backs away from him. She is still wearing the clothes from the village, which causes Jard's anger to flare immediately. He steps up to her at the back wall, and with a quick flick of the long claws on his right hand, he slices the cord that holds her lower covering in place, causing it to drop to the floor. His hand continues upward and severs the tie that holds the cloth over her breasts to spring out to the side, leaving her chest bare.