Chapter 4

The building in the very center of the small village is two stories. The bottom area is open on the side facing the river below the small ridge, with tables and benches to each side. A long counter at the back must be where the food is laid out for everybody to take what they want.

Jess leads them through the lower eating area to a center stairway going up to a large open upper level, which they can tell has an opening that looks out over the river and the fields. When they reach the top Adam goes to the railing and looks out over the rest of the village. The fields are all close to the river planted outward on both sides, with arched bridges rising over the water to give access to the other side. The area by the edge of the cleared land is dominated by rows and rows of flower beds, each one a different shape and color. The pristine arrangements make a very pleasing addition to the overall orderly layout of the clearing.

Jess has taken a set at the large table just inside the railing, as Evian sits across from her. "What do you think of our little village? It is one of the most beautiful in all the valley, as evident by the rating we get from the Shrils when they judge each village. We have won the most times in the history of the games and have therefore been given the best of everything, because of that fact."

Adam returns to the table and sits down just as Marie climbs the stairs to the loft. Jess turns to her. "Did you find Jarl?"

"Yes, he is coming, but his bones are bothering him again, so it might take him a moment to get here."

"That's OK. Why don't you get some fruit and spiced water for our guests, while we wait for him?" suggests Jess.

Marie nods her head and turns back to the stairs and runs down them quickly.

Jess watches her go with a proud smile on her face. "She is going to make a good leader when the time comes for me to go."

Evian looks to Adam after Jess goes silent. Adam tilts his head to her as if to say. "Go ahead, ask her".

She turns back to Jess. "But why would you leave such a beautiful spot? I could see myself staying in a place like this forever."

Jess sits up straighter slightly startled before adding a puzzled look on her face. "What village are you from again?" as she looks suspiciously from Evian to Adam.

Evian is about to make up something but is saved by Marie arriving with a tray of fruit along with a large chilled pitcher of water and some plastic looking glasses sitting on the side. This gives her a chance to redirect Jess's question, as she picks up one of the glasses from the tray and looks at it strangely. "What kind of material is this?"

Jess is still looking at her with even more than a little suspicion now. "It is flexible glass of course. I thought all the villages had access to such goods." She is about to ask more probing questions when Jarl reaches the top of the stairs to the loft.

Adam turns to look in the direction Jess is and sees an old man with a cane stop at the top of the stairs, slightly out of breath. He looks with squinted eyes to Adam and Evian. He smiles at Evian sweetly, but Adam he stares at for a moment, before he hobbles across the space to the railing. Adam gets up to offer his chair to him because it would be the easiest for him to get into. Jarl stops about halfway across the open space between them to take a break after climbing the stairs. Adam gets up and goes to him, offering to help him the rest of the way to the small table. Adam reaches down to the shorter slightly bent over man to help him as Jarl smiles up at him and pulls on his arm as if to use him for support, but keeps pulling till he can speak under his breath to Adam, so only he can hear it. "Don't drink the water."

Adam catches the words but pretends that he did not hear them because he knows they are not meant for the rest at the table to hear, as he nods slightly to Jarl. "Let me help you to the table, so you can sit and rest while we talk," adds Adam, loud enough to carry to the table and the others.