Chapter 30

Evian has no idea how long it has been since the guard had unceremoniously dumped her in the small cell after her meal with Jard in the processing chamber of the Fortress. The spiced water has now worn off, and the screams of the Moles being processed has worked its way back into her mind again. So, with nothing else to focus on, it is slowly starting to drive her crazy as the tears and sobs start all over again.

The guard that was at the small table outside her cell has moved farther away to remove himself from the constant noise. She is starting to shake all over and is not sure if it is from the cold of the cell and her bare skin reacting to it, or the images and sounds that keep intruding into her thoughts.

The outer door to the smaller cells opens with a screeching noise as the dry hinges call out their protest at being disturbed. Evian gets up and goes to the small slit in the middle of the door just large enough for the guards to look in and see if she is OK, but not large enough for her to put her hand through. She is hoping for her meal of vegetable stew, which she hopes will distract her from her thoughts, but instead, she sees Jard coming again. The only good part of his visit is the tray that the guard is carrying as he follows Jard into the small room outside her door. The metal pitcher is damp on the outside as the small rivulets of water snake down the side. A clay cup rests beside it.

Jard calls out to her as soon as he has cleared the outer door. "Evian, my dear, how are you today? I hear that you have been sobbing again. I was wondering if you wanted to go for a short walk so you could stretch your legs before I allow you to drink your spiced water again. I know how much you like it."

Evian does want the spiced water and cannot seem to take her eyes from it, as she thinks about the feelings it gives her, which drive the sad thoughts from her mind. "Why do I always have to do something for you before you give me what I need to stay sane in here?"

Jard strides to the door, blocking the light from the globe hanging in the center of the ceiling, till he crouches down, so he can look at Evian eye to eye through the slit in the door. "Because that is how things work. First you give me something I want, and then I give you something that you want."

"So, what is it that you want this time, that I assume I will not like?"

"Evian, you wound me with such harsh words. I am simply suggesting a short walk to give you some exercise, that's all," he states, as he smiles and shows his teeth, forcing Evian to pull back from the sight involuntarily.

"Do I have any choice?"

Jard moves closer to the door. "There is always a choice my dear. You can stay in there while the cool refreshing spiced water stays out here; if that is your choice."

Evian looks longingly at the tray on the table around Jard's grinning face. "So, I go for a walk with you, and then you give me the water again; is that the deal?"

"Yes, that is all I ask. It is such a simple thing, and then you can go away again into your blissful water induced need," smiles Jard sweetly.

Evian does not have to think too hard about it, before stepping back from the door. "OK, but you had better keep your promise."

"Don't worry, I have been instructed to keep you safe, for the time being."

The guard moves up to the door and opens it, so he can step in and tie Evian's hands behind her back with a narrow piece of flexible glass. He puts one end through the other, and pulls it tight, forcing her hands together. She tests the bounds and quickly finds out that if she pulls too hard, the narrow material will cut into her wrists. She relaxes her hands and realizes that there is just enough room left for her to clasp her hands together comfortably.