Here's a Gadget, So Call Me Maybe: Chapter Six: Percy's POV

When Annabeth and I got to my mom's apartment the next day, my mom, Sally Jackson, handed me a small shipping box, like the kind you get off of Amazon.

"Percy, honey, this came for you... from someone named Sophie Foster?" I must have paled when she said that, because she sat Annabeth and I on the couch and demanded to know everything about our day. I told her about the ten teenagers from the beach, and how they'd fallen out of the sky and then been all mysterious about it.

She shook her head. "I don't even know why I'm surprised anymore." I'd sat like this and explained so many things: when I'd met Carter Kane and he'd told me that the Egyptian gods were alive and well in Brooklyn; when Annabeth's cousin Magnus in Boston turned out to be the son of a Norse deity; and when we went on a quest with a bunch of Roman demigods. She'd gone through a lot with me, including three or more wars (by now, I've lost count) and when I went missing for six months and lost my memory. She'd stayed with me through my friend Jason's death. I was afraid that the strange people were going to show up and declare that Hindu mythology was not, in fact, a myth, and she was going to lose it.

Annabeth and I grabbed some lemonade from the fridge and headed to my bedroom. There, we opened the package,where we found a strange silver square and a note:

Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase:
this is an Imparter. Say "show me Sophie Foster" and
It will contact us. We can't meet on the terms we agreed on,
so let's make some new arrangements. Call us.
Sophie Foster, Fitz and Biana Vacker, Tam and Linh Song, Wylie Endal,
Marella Redek, Dex Dizznee, and Maruca Endal

I was stunned. Really? They were postponing our meeting? I was going to be late for a training session at Camp Half-Blood this afternoon! I had stopped by home just because they were coming (not that I didn't appreciate the chance to update my mom on the weirdness) and they give me a gadget and a note? Why couldn't they just e-mail or text?