Chapter 42: The Red Letter

Start from the beginning

"Ailey! Thank God! Why the f—k were you not picking up your phone?"

"I-I was in the shower". I lie. I feel numb and heartbroken at the same time. Axcel's eyes flash in front of me and I let out a sob.

"I miss you Adrian".

"Baby... I am so sorry I am not there. I'll be there first thing tomorrow! Just stay indoors okay! Mia Bella... I".

He stops.

"I'll keep you safe".

I wish Adrian were here. I need him back. All of this is too hard to handle. But I also want to learn the truth about what is going on and I prefer to do it without any goof-ups or support. I refuse to be manipulated in this mind-numbing web anymore.

Hearing Adrian's voice soothes me, I sigh a breath of relief until my eyes land on the red card set on the side table beside our bed.

I halt. It wasn't there before. Adrian asks me to take some rest and I reply. I tell him not to worry as I slowly near the parcel carefully.

Three Mice Left For Work On A Fine Day
One Gets Shot Other Is Lost
Third is MINE Anyway!!!

What the hell! A cold shiver runs down my spine. What kind of sick person was doing this. I hear Adrian asking me if I am okay and I want to cry out loud that I am not.

I need him here and I am about to tell him everything until I flip the card and my blood runs cold. There are pictures of Adrian standing outside the hotel suite he must be staying in. With the words below,

Tell him anything and he will be next to your boyfriend's grave!

Love,

E.V.

P.S. If you want him safe. Break his heart!

What kind of sick mind game was this. I feel a lump form in my throat.

"Adrian".

"Yes?"

"What colour shirt are you wearing?"

"Woah! Babe I didn't know you were in mood for".

"Adrian! just tell me what are you wearing?"

"Blue! Ailes! Jeez no need to yell!"

He must have sensed the panic in my voice as the picture falls from my hand, under the bed. Tears roll down my cheeks and I hold in a sob.

"Ailey? What's the matter? Baby is everything ok?"

"Ye-Yes.... everything is fine, I just feel lonely ". I partially lie holding in my sobs as they protest to break free.

Once assuring him, that I am fine and just tired, I decline the call and switch off my phone. Once that is done. I grab my laptop and the pen drive Axcel had hidden in my pocket and attach it to my laptop.

Pictures! Different shots of Elaine's car accident, documents, letters flash through the screen. Claims of Elaine's accident being a hoax and a lot of conspiracies suggesting it to be murder made my head spin.
That's when my gaze fell on another folder labelled Josie Vittorio. My heartbeat sped up. I felt a lump form in my throat.

Hurriedly I clicked on it. And my world stopped. Aunt Josie's letters! Scanned and kept as some form of evidence. It was all here. The moment of truth I needed, but what broke me more were the pictures of Mr. Vittorio and Aunt Josie together.

I threw the laptop in disgust. My body felt cold, nauseous and numb all at once. I rushed to the bathroom as I vomited all of my dinner. Wiping off the sweat from my forehead I managed to sit back.

Tears burned there way down my cheeks. Everything was a lie! How could she do this! Oh my goodness Adrian was telling the truth! I try to get up but my legs are wobbly as I fall back down to the floor.

Thy Gravity! You really are a cruel bit*h I mentally add in my mind. Finally, grabbing hold of the sink counter I get up. My head feels light, my hair is in a messy braid. I wash my face and breathe in and out once again, that's when my eyes fall on the digital clock on the side of our sink.

Wait! What? I- I'm late? By a week?! Another wave of anxiety hits me and I rush to the small cabinet and pull out the box and tearing open a stick I impatiently wait for the two most long minutes of my life.

The results confirm my fears. I am surely

PREGNANT

Whew! This was a tough chapter to write. So many emotions, so many twists and turns. I hope you like it though. Love you all! Until next time Byee!!