Chapter 13: In Memory of the Departed

The hall had now been lighted up and no sooner about more than 200 people would be fitted into this area. A smile of pure and utter satisfaction touched my face and I sighed a soothing sigh of relief. Emma and I had really worked hard to get the memorial gathering be set up perfectly, nothing was to be left undone or not up to the mark. Andrea had been of great help from dress picking to getting the entire thing arranged, she had a nice job at a PR firm and had put in a word about the memorial and made my work a lot easier, her aunt was a cater and baker herself, in fact her cakes were divine to taste.

Emma's voice makes me turn, she is looking stunning in her burgundy colored ball gown, her auburn hair is tied up in a stylish bun and a golden colored clutch hangs around her arm loosely. She hurries up to me and frowns a little, the reason too clear, the event is about to start in an hour or so and I stand there in my skinny jeans and sweatshirt that I came in. I smile giddily at her and this makes her shake her head at me. Turning her mama bear look on she rushes me out the hall and towards the elevator that would likely lead me to the top floor where we have been staying for the last two days. Since I am already late I rush into the apartment and grabbing a towel I scramble towards my toiletries bag and right towards the bathroom. After a quick shower of ten minutes I am about to spree out of the bathroom when I notice that instead of grabbing the towel I had accidentally grabbed Adrian's shirt, I mentally smack my head, now what to do; opening the bathroom door a little I peep out, no one in sight, if I could just rush to the closet which is on the opposite side of the room I can grab the towel put the shirt back in its place and easily be free from this trial that I feel I am in, but I don't think it is wise of me to just march that far naked and back, what if Andrea or Holder walks in on me, I have enough moments that have made me feel embarrassed in front of them that it could last an entire century if I started thinking about it, I won't appreciate another one, no way. I look around hoping that a towel or any sheet would appear by magic in thin air, but just my luck, suddenly an idea illuminates the light bulb in my mind, a rather scary and extremely idiotic idea but desperate times call for desperate measures right, heaving one last sigh I grab Adrian's grey shirt and wear it, quickly buttoning it up.

Rushing out of the bathroom I target the cabinet where I must have left the towel I reach it and open it, on the other hand I am so busy in my search that I don't notice the sound of the feet walking in, I make a grumpy sound when I realize that the towel was not in the closet either but rather on the floor, bowing down I pick it up, to this I hear a hiss as if someone is trying to hold their breath all of a sudden, my brain is throwing alert signs at me, while my body seems to have frozen on the spot, trembling with fear I turn and once I do turn my heart jackhammers in my rib cage trying to free itself like a fly trapped in a spider's web and is now fearful of being it's dinner, I swallow hard, a lump formed in my throat, while right ten feet away from me stands my husband, his Iphone still connected to his ear, his beautiful dark blue eyes some how transfixed on me and his mouth with those supple pink lips opened forming an 'O' shape of his mouth.

"I -I umm... I just forgot the towel..."

My words linger in midair as I notice him nearing me, I back up with each step he takes towards me, its the same prey predator chase as they depict in those cheesy romance novels the only difference here is that there is no love, none at all, only a form of silent commitment that we both have signed and willing to follow. At only a foot distance away he stops and I pull my eyes up to his face, there is nothing complete blankness shadows his face, but his eyes, his eyes delve me into another ocean of misty feelings that have me bounded and grounded, his eyes are filled with what; admiration, appreciation and a essence of question that he seems to be asking, as if he just wants to solve a mystery, but the last feeling leaves me surprised, because its something that I never thought could be possible, its lust, a blinding, inflammable, white hot searing lust that has an ongoing depth, which I feel can drown and consume me entirely.