𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

Start from the beginning

"What by?" Her eyes widened at me after she saw the huge bandage wrapped around her right leg.

"A werewolf." Jason appeared in the doorway.

Don't these guys ever knock? I pulled the duvet even further up my chest.

Maia laughed, rolling her eyes. "Seriously, a werewolf? You know those don't exist, right?"

"Maia..." I said in a warning tone, but she just continued.

"Sure, I'd love it if the supernatural world was real; it would be awesome if it were... But life's just too normal to be paranormal." She inspected her fingernails nonchalantly.

"Okay then." Jason strode over to us, a look of fury brewing on his face. "Try this for 'normal', Maia."

Brutally, he tore the bandage off Maia's injured leg, and I thought that I was going to be sick when I saw that awful bite mark, with blood and pus pouring out of it profusely, the signs of infection tinging the edges.

Yet there was no bite.

It had completely healed. Not a trace of it remained, apart from on the inside of the bandage which showed that bite had been there at one point.

Maia's bottom lip quivered, but she couldn't find any words to speak that seemed appropriate — and neither could I.

"Ryder!" Jason growled, and Ryder ran into the room within 30 seconds.

"Yeah?" He walked over to us, and then saw Maia's healed leg, "Holy shit!"

"You know what this means, right?" Jason murmured to Ryder, but we could still hear him.

"What does this mean?" I questioned, as Ryder nodded his head.

"Ember, maybe you should come outside," Jason said, and I rose to my feet.

Seeing that I wasn't wearing very much, Ryder pulled his hoodie over his head and handed it to me.

"Thanks." I smiled as I took it from him, and pulled it over my cold body. I stepped outside Abi's room and insisted that the two of them tell me what the hell was going on.

"Because the bite healed," Jason explained, "It means that she's going to make the transition... If she wants to that it."

"So, she has a choice?" I whispered back.

"Not really." Ryder shuffled, looking down at his feet.

"Either she can transition and become a werewolf, like us, or if she doesn't want that, then we can... help her." Jason eyed me.

"Again, what the hell does that mean?" I asked incredulously, wishing they'd just tell me the goddamn truth already.

Theo was clearly going down to his shift watching Jade, and as he walked past us, he told me harshly, "It means that we can kill her before she transitions."

After that, everything went a little blurry.

I think that I heard Ryder tell Theo, "Man, you can't just drop a bombshell like that and then leave."

Then Theo responded with something like, "Man, you can't just hook up with my ex whenever you feel like it."

Why not? I felt like responding; Theo didn't want me anymore, did he? But instead, I had to rush to the nearest toilet.

Throwing the toilet lid up, I leaned over and emptied my stomach, not that there was very much in it. And so, most of what came up was bile and left a rancid taste in my mouth.