Chapter 26: Engagement Ball

Start from the beginning

"I thought he'd never leave you alone."

Turning around, she smiled at Nathaniel, who stood a little too close for propriety.

"He will be back soon if you don't keep your distance," she teased.

"Point taken." He grinned and reversed a couple of steps. "Would you care to join me for a stroll in the garden?"

"I would love to. I was just about to go out there on my own."

He smiled. "I knew you wouldn't last an entire evening in an overcrowded ballroom. Wait here." Before she could say anything, he disappeared for a few moments, only to return a short while later, carrying two glasses of champagne and a small crystal bowl of strawberries. "Something for the road," he said, offering her a glass.

Taking the champagne from him, they walked out onto the terrace and down the few steps into the garden. A few more couples followed the lit path Mrs Grey had arranged while others stayed on the terrace. They strolled along the path in companionable silence until Nathaniel stopped, turning his head to see if anyone was looking at them. Then he quickly ushered her off the path and in between some trees towards one of the garden's corners where it was darker.

"What are you doing?" she whispered frantically, even as her pulse raced in anticipation.

"I thought we should have a private celebration of our now very official engagement." The look he gave her was so sensual she might have stopped breathing.

"Are you out of your mind?" she asked, but couldn't help smiling. "What if James sees us?"

"I'm just taking you for a stroll in the garden. Besides, no one can see us."

He was right. The lighter summer evening and the little light filtering through the branches of the trees were enough for them to see each other, but because where they stood was darker than where everyone walked and covered by some low branches, they were obscured from sight.

"He will come looking for us." It was meant as a warning, but she could not hide the breathless quality of her voice.

"Gowthorpe is busy with Lady Garland." Nathaniel grinned. "And we won't stay long. Just share a glass of champagne and some strawberries with me."

The idea of hiding from everyone was more exciting than she wanted to admit. It was only for a few minutes. What harm could there be? Nathaniel took a sip from his glass and she did the same. Finding a suitable branch on one tree, he put the small bowl of strawberries down before taking another sip. The spot he'd brought them to wasn't large, and he stood much too close. She need only reach her hand out and she'd touch him.

"Here." He took a strawberry from the bowl and held it out in front of her mouth. "Taste it."

Hesitating only for a moment, she leaned forward to take a bite of the strawberry. It was ripe and juicy, but before she could eat it, he pressed his lips to hers, sharing the taste of it. Then he pulled back, taking the berry with him and swallowing it.

"Delicious," he mumbled before bending down to kiss her fervently.

Caught in the passion of his hot mouth against hers, Angel dropped her glass as she wound her arms around his neck. When she returned the kiss with equal fervour, he groaned low in his throat and pulled her body close to his. Unlike her, he somehow still held on to his glass, spilling none of the champagne. As he trailed kisses along her cheek and down her neck, he muttered, "God, I can't wait until the wedding is over and done with."

"So we can do this whenever we want to?" she whispered while burying her hands in his soft, dark hair.

He straightened a little so he could look at her with a wicked smile. "That," he said. "And so I can do everything I've been wanting to do to you since that morning you found me in bed."