Chapter 29: Aftermath

Start from the beginning

He'd do well to remember he only desired her. Other than friendship, that was the extent of his feelings towards her. He flexed his hands. It was getting more and more difficult to convince himself of his lack of feelings. And that terrified him.

After her bath, Angel felt somewhat better

After her bath, Angel felt somewhat better. Wearing a simple dress, since she wasn't in the mood to leave the house, she stood in the upstairs drawing room window. Outside on the street, Aunt Christine, Uncle George, and Joan were getting into a carriage to finally depart from her life. She wouldn't miss them, but it still saddened her that it had come to this. They were meant to be her family.

Joan lifted her face, and their eyes met for a moment. The pure hatred in her cousin's blue eyes made her take a step back. It shouldn't have surprised her that her cousin would blame their eviction on her. According to Joan, every bad thing that happened was usually because of Angel. With a sigh, she walked away from the window. She would never have to worry about keeping her cousin happy again.

"Did the bath help?"

She looked up to see Nathaniel at the door to the hallway. Her skin still crawled when she thought of Philip, but she felt better, so she nodded. "I was just watching the Grants leave," she said.

"Good riddance," Nathaniel muttered as he came over to her. Taking her hands in his, he lifted them to his mouth and placed a soft kiss on each. "I hope we never see them again."

"We shouldn't unless you're planning a trip to the Midlands." She smiled faintly. "I thought you'd returned home."

"I wanted to see you again before I left," he admitted. "Don't tell Gowthorpe. I think he might have my head if he sees me alone with you. He's gone to spread the information about Chettisham's finances. Soon everyone will know, and no one will want anything to do with him."

"I just want to forget about the whole ordeal," she admitted. "I want to think about pleasant things."

"Kittens and rainbows?" Nathaniel asked, the corners of his mouth twitching.

"That's a start. I'm sure your sister Rain could help with at least one of those."

He chuckled and pulled her into his arms for a hug. His enveloping warmth chased away the chill of the day's events even better than the hot bath had, and she relaxed into his embrace. Resting her head on his chest, she could hear the steady beating of his heart.

"How many kittens would you like?" he mumbled against her hair. "I'm sure Rain could supply you with any number."

She stood silently in his arms for a moment before she took a step back to look up at him. "What if Philip returns?" she asked, her voice wavering. "I can't stop worrying about it, even if it seems unlikely."

"The servants have all been informed that he is never to be allowed entry to this house again." Nathaniel squeezed her arms, his eyes meeting hers. "He will never get you. And in less than two weeks, you will be my wife. If he has not admitted defeat before, he must at that point."

It was true. She would be Nathaniel's wife in less than two weeks. It still didn't seem real.

"And until then"—he bent down and placed a tender kiss on her lips—"we will keep you busy with visits to the modiste and wedding preparations. My sister and aunt won't leave you alone. You will pray for some peace."

"I quite look forward to it. Your family is wonderful." A slight smile broke through her worries.

"They are," he agreed. With a mock frown, he wryly asked, "You're not marrying me just to get my family, are you?"

She laughed quietly, secretly loving how he tried so hard to make her relax. She winked. "Maybe just a little."

"I'm sure they would happily adopt you and toss me out." Nathaniel chuckled. "They love you."

"I love them too." And you. She didn't say the last words since she knew he didn't want her love. Nor had he mentioned any for her, only from his family. But she would not dwell on that. Not right now. Not with less than two weeks before their wedding.

~~~~~~