Cross Your Heart (Chapter Nine)

Jake's POV

I heard the doctor walk in and he was talking to someone. He was telling him what all actually happened to me. Also, he said that if you talk to people in a coma that they could actually hear you. I heard the doctor walk out of the room and then footsteps leading to my bed.

" Hey man. Everyone is here for ya. So you have to hurry up and get better." Everyone is here? Does that mean Li's here? Just then I heard the door to my room open and close. I heard a huff next to me. Who was here?

" Hey Jake..." Li. She was here. My heart rate rose quickly. She let out a giggle. Gosh I have to wake up. I have to see her. I have to telll her I love her.

" Jake I know it's my fault your here." What how could she blame herself?" I should have told you before that I knew, but I didn't want to tell you and then you leave." How could she think that? I willed myself to wake up. I had to tell her it wasn't her fault." God  Jake I'm so sorry. Can you just wake up and tell me everything is going to be alright." I had to wake up!

'WAKE UP' I told myself. Suddenly my hand twitched and everything around me came into focus. It took a litlle while for my eyes to adjust but when they did I saw the most beautiful person in my whole entire life. Li.

" I will never leave you. Ever. Understand? I love you." I said. My voice was really hoarse from the tube they put down my throat during surgery.

'W...What???"

" I'm in LOVE with you, Elizabeth Skye Smith. I didn't know how to tell you. I wish it was in a better time and place, but being in the wreckall I could think about was you. I love you Li. Cross my heart."

I waited to see her reaction. She looked at me deep into my eyes and stood up smiling. She leaned in and I took in a breath. I closed my eyes and she lightly brushed her lips onto mine. The moment was ruined when my heart monitor beeped rapidly. Li leaned back a little to look into my eyes and giggled. My face just flushed.

" Oh really? That's what I do to you?" She said a teasing tone in her voice.

" Let's hook you up to this monitor and see how you react." I teased her back. She just leaned in and brushed her lips onto mine again. A guy could get used to this.

" I love you too." She whispered in my ear. We stared at each other. Did this really just happen? Did I just confess my love to my best friend? 

" Your the only one a I have left Li." My parents died two years ago. They went on vacation to Australia.

FLASHBACK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 YEARS AGO

I was sitting at the dinner table at the Smith's home. I had been staying with them for a week while my parents were on vacation. I was about to put another bit of the meatloaf in my mouth when I heard Li scream. I ran to the living room where I knew she would be.I found her staring at the TV. She turned around looked at me and ran and wrapped her arms around my waist. I turned my attention to the television.

" BREAKING NEWS: AIRLINER EXPLOSION NEAR SOUTH CALIFORNIA."

     " We have recieved a report of an airliner explosion near South California. Flight 182 from Australia was set to land in San Antonio later this afternoon, but after a gas leak in the belly of the plane it was forced to make an emergency landing. As the plane desended it was found that the landing gear was stuck, and when the belly of the plane hit the runway the gas ignighted and the plane exploded. It is not known if the flight was sabatoged, but we will have more on this story later as the news continues. What we do know now is that there doesn't seem to be any suviviors."

I looked down at Li and she looked up at me tears in her eyes. I didn't know what to think. I was in shock I guess. I pulled Li into me and just held her not shedding a tear. They were the only family I had left besides my brother, but he was in active duty for the army in the Middle East. What was I gonna do? Where was I gonna stay? Am I going to have to leave?

" You can live here Jake." Li whispered from beside me,

" I would love to,  but I don't want to be a burden. Don't say I won't because I probably will. I hope I can just stay in my house. Who knows maybe they will count my brother as the legal guardian and I could stay!"

" I'm so sorry Jake."

" It's ok Li. I still have you."

END OF FLASHBACK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's hard finding out your parents died hearing it from someone, but finding it out over the news was way worse. I remember that night Mrs. Smith let me stay the night in Li's room for the first time. She didn't want me to be alone. I was so thankful that Li was there. I don't know what I wouldv'e done without her. Li means everything to me and if I ever lose her I think I would go crazy.

" Jake, I will never leave you. Your my best friend and I don't think you could live without my awesomeness." She said trying to lighten the mood. We spent the rest of the time just taking and laughing. The doctor walked in and told Li that visiting hours were almost over.

" Ok. Looks like I have to go, but I'll come back tomorrow." She said giving me a hug as I kissed her on the cheek. I thought of a creative idea to ask Li to be my girlfriend and I knew just who could help me.

" Do you mind telling Austin to come in here for a sec. I have to ask him something." She nodded and walked out of the room. Soon Austin came in a smile on his face.

" Hey man your up! Good to see you!"

" Yeah and I'm so sorry. I should have been paying attention"

" No problem Aiden and I just have a couple of bruises. Anyway Elizabeth said you needed to ask me something?" I explained my idea to him and he said he would help me.

" See you finally realising you love for her."

" Finally?" I asked him totally confused.

" Dude, youv'e been in love with that girl for as long as I've known you! The way you look at her says it all. I wish I could find a girl like that."

" What about Renee?"

" Oh shit you don't know. Mae and Renee got into it in the waiting room. Renee finally showed her true colors. It was kinda hot. Mae tackled Renee and just started punching her. I've never seen a girl punch before. It's normally just slaps and scratches. She's amazing."

"Sounds like you've got a thing for Mae."

" Yeah maybe I do. Do you think she would like me?"

" I don't know, but promise me you won't wait five years to find out."

" Promise. See you later." He left the room and left me to my thoughts. A smile crept to my face. Tomorrow was the day that I Jake Micheals would ask his best friend to be his girl friend. No pressure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AWW! I wish I had a best friend like this!!!

How is he gonna ask? Whats he got up his sleeve??

Picture to the side is of the plane crash Jakes parents were in.

~KALLIE