Cross Your Heart (Chapter Seventeen)

A Couple Months Later (Christmas Time)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked outside at the front lawn wishing for a White Christmas, and thinking about my father which is something I haven't done in a long time. I knew that wasn't going to snow and I knew he wasn't going to come back either. It was very chilly outside around 38 degrees, but the ground was still too warm to hold any snow if it were to happen. I leaned into the window and my breath fogged up the glass and I drew a J hearts L.

" Yes I do." Said a voice walking up behind me, startling me making me jump. I turned my head and saw Jake standing at the counter fixing a sandwich. He wore soft flannel pajama bottoms and no shirt showing off his chest. " Want one?" He asked me. I nodded my head yes and proceeded to look out the window. Once Jake was finished making the sandwiches he layed them down on the table and walked over behind me wrapping his arms around my waist, kissing my shoulder, and replacing it with his chin.

" What's up?" He asked pulling me closer to him.

" Nothing just wishing we would have some snow this year." I replied not wanting to tell him was thinking about my father. My father left my mom, brother, and me when I was in the seventh grade.

FLASHBACK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(5 years ago)

" Mom when is dad going to be home?" I asked my mom after a long day at school. It was already seven o'clock and he was normally home by now.

" I don't know sweety but we have a parent teacher conference in thirty minutes so you need to finish your dinner." I went back to eating and when I finished my mom and I drove to the school for our meeting to discuss my math grades with Mrs. Camp.

We walked through the big double doors that led to the front office where we had to sign in at and then we made our way down the hall to Mrs. Camp's room. I grabbed my mom's hand leading her in the right direction. Once we were in front of the door I pushed it open and looked around for Mrs. Camp. I found her on top of her desk with her legs wrapped around my father's waist. My mom let out a shriek and my father removed his lips from Mrs. Camp's and looked at my mother. My mom quickly closed the door and grabbed my hand and began to move quickly towards the entrance of the school. Not bothering to look back. I could see tears welling up in her eyes. She had just witnessed and man she had been married to for 13 years hooking up with someone else, let alone my seventh grade math teacher.

Anyway, after the encounter my dad came home trying to explain himself to my mom, but his things were already packed and on the porch ready for him. He came to me trying to say he was sorry for what I had seen and I didn't want to hear any of it. He had not only cheated on my mom. He had ruied our family and my trust in him.

END OF FLASHBACK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night was the last night I ever saw or heard from him again. He had never sent a birthday card or called since that night, and I had never made an effort to contact him.

Jake turned me to face him and he looked into my eyes. I knew he could tell I was lying, but I knew he wouldn't press the subject either. The more I looked into his eyes the more I thought about my dad. He was the reason I could never trust a guy. He was the reason I didn't want to get involved in love. That was until Jake came around and changed my whole perspective. I knew I could trust Jake. I knew he would never intentionally do anything to hurt me, but I would always have a piece of my heart locked up. Jake looked at me with knowing eyes.

" Him?" He asked leaning his forehead against mine. I closed my eyes and nodded my head. This made Jake pull me in to an embrace and tell me everything was going to be alright. I looked up at him and placed a single kiss on his lips, but he held my head there deepening the kiss.