Cross Your Heart (Chapter Four)

I heard a hand slam down on the desk next to me,and I looked over to see Mae getting out of her seat. The whole class looked over to us and I pleaded her with my eyes not to do anything. She looked at me as if to say "but he deserves it!"

" I know, but please don't" I quietly whispered to her. She nodded her head and glared past me. I knew this wasn't over, but for now it was.

The rest of the class dragged on. After the display that happened at the beginning of class Mae, Jake, and I were forced into an uncomfortable silence. I kept myself from stealing side-ways glances at Jake, but I could feel his eyes on me throughout the class.

Finally, the bell rang and I gathered my things and packed them into my backpack quickly. Our school makes us carry around our backpacks because the lockers were removed a couple years back due to people leaving food and hiding drugs in them. I shoved my last folder into my backpack when I heard my name.

" Li..." Only one person called me that. Jake. Right now i didn't know wether to run, or hear what he had to say. I  looked up at him. I'll hear him out because it's not like we are dating or anything. I just stared at him and he began to talk.

" I'm so sorry Li. I didn't know she was going to do that. She walked up and started asking who I would give my rose to tonight, and I told her it was a suprise. Then she kissed me and said she would be waiting for my rose. I promise I didn't know that would happen. I don't even lik...."

" It's ok." I cut him off. " You don't have to apologize. I mean if you like her go for it. I'll still be your best friend even though I don't like her. I think you should definetly give her the rose. She is the Head Cheerleader and it only makes sense that the Head Cheerleader and star Quarterback get together. Right?"

" Yeah I guess your right. But..."

" Of course I am. Anyway we should really get to class." I told him, and we began walking to our next class. Physics. If I were to ever get my first B in any class this class would be it. Physics would be the death of me. Luckly I had Jake. Jake wasn't really good at any other class but science was his strong point and he always helped me. That was our deal he helped me with science and I helped him with everything else. Not a far deal I know, but I felt like I owed him for being my friend all of these years.

The rest of the day went by in a flash. Soon I found myself walking to Jakes Jeep. When I walked up I spotted that my seat in his Jeep was occupied by none other than Renee. Gosh when will this girl leave him alone!

I automatically jumped into the back. Jake was in the front of his Jeep talking to his best guy-friend, Austin Till, probably about the game. It was just Renee in the Jeep now. She turned around and laughed.

"How pathetic. He has to drive you to school and home. I mean how desprate can you get. You have to take every opportunity to get him to notice you." she said.

" At least I'm not a slut." I muttered under my breath.

" What did you say Nerd?"

" Nothing."

" That's right cause after tonight Jake and I will be an official couple and there is nothing you can do about it." She said and then turned to face the front as Jake climbed into the drivers seat. He turned to me and gave me a sad smile as if to say sorry.

" Hey Jakey do you want to go eat before the game??" Barbie said. I just rolled my eyes. Jake always came over to my house before the game and I gave him a little football pep talk, and then we would hang out, eat, and relax before his game. It was tradition. I looked at him through the rear view mirror hoping he wouldn't forget about it.