𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬

Start from the beginning

For example, their memory at the meadow shouldn't be her happiest memory, because it was all just a great, big, fat lie. Edward Cullen had not merely deceived her; he had manipulated her into deceiving herself. What a dirty trick. Having to admit that, and accept why he had done it — to substitute his former lover, Bella's, affection with Harleen — is a knife in her heart. And yet the feelings that come with those memories is the joy she'd felt from having somebody hold her, of falling in love again when she didn't think it was possible after she thought that the Joker had died — not anger at his betrayal, or even shame at being Edward's perfect mark.

How does a person recover from that?

Now, as for Jack Nieper, A.K.A Joker, her anger towards him remains. Edward, she can forgive. Him, not so much. He had her completely and utterly fooled into believing he had died in that terrible car accident. He didn't even bother to let her know he was alive, and even played dead when Harleen went to Gotham's Morgue to visit his deceased body for the last time. She doesn't even know how she believed the facade he had put up. She should have known that it would take a lot more than a car accident to put an end to the Joker.

But what would she do if a sudden explosion blows a hole in the wall and the Joker comes striding in to apologize and finally take her away from this shithole? Highly unlikely. But there is another scenario not nearly as far-fetched: what if he builds up a team of inmates to turn against the employees and finally rescues her? Still, she wouldn't go with him. Or maybe she would and then kill him.

Either way, that is nearly impossible, as the two of them are isolated into two different units in the hospital. She isn't allowed to see him, but knowing him, he would probably find some way send a message to her. What would she do? Turn the message over to Dr. Leland, or keep quiet?

Or maybe, just maybe, she'll return to the devil's grasp and grow to love him again like she had done nearly three years ago down a couple cells, like a twisted variation of The Princess and the Pea? Would a simple "I'm sorry" be powerful enough to undo her?

Her body continues to heal and her mind becomes stronger even if her emotions are shaky, and eventually Harley is able to talk to Dr. Leland about him. The policeman who had guided Harleen into Arkham did not know that he was not allowed to take her into the cell next to the Joker's — she was never to find out about him, Dr. Leland explained. She did not disclose anymore information on that, even after Harleen questioned why he had faked his death. She was not allowed to say.

"I'm sorry, Harleen. This is out of my control," Dr. Leland said with a good-natured frankness that made Harley feel more puzzled about everything. "We never meant for that to happen. I am so sorry for putting you through that pain, you shouldn't have found out that way."

Harley had decided to then drop it. She wouldn't be getting any answers from her anytime soon. No matter how much of a friend she was to her in the past, she wouldn't risk her job for her. Then, another worry rose within her. "If you learn that the Joker is tryin' ta harm me in any way or tryin' ta come in contact with me you will tell me, wouldn't ya, Doc," she asked suddenly.

"Immediately, if not sooner," Dr. Leland said with a half-smile. "We won't let anything happen to you. I promise."

Months pass, and Harley continues to improve. Dr. Leland begins to make noises about life after Arkham. Harley knows that she isn't serving a life sentence, but she doesn't feel ready to think about getting out. It is still hard not to think of herself in terms of Edward or even the Joker. Sometimes, she isn't sure she'll ever find her own separate identity again.