𝐄𝐝𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐂𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

Harley remembers that day as if it was just yesterday... the party, the paper cut, their last and final kiss, the midnight walk and the words that ruined her entire life.

She shudders as the pain all comes rushing back... the same pain she felt when he walked away from her, when she was curled up in bed, repeating his words in her head. He didn't want her.

She tries her best everyday... to try and hide the true pain she feels. It's as if she is wearing a mask to hide the true pain she feels. Jane isn't convinced, that's why she suggests she leaves to Hawaii for vacation. But Harley isn't leaving Gotham... it's where her new life is.

Eddie stirs a little, and Harley sighs deeply, knowing that if she doesn't get up now she will be late for work. Not wanting to wake her babies up, she takes a couple baited breathes before pulling herself together.

As quietly and with as little movement as she can muster, the blonde removes herself from under the covers and immediately makes a beeline for her clothes; she finds clean underwear somehow kicked underneath the bed a little, but she fails to locate a bra. Too intent on getting out of here as soon as possible so she won't arrive to work late, she decides to ditch the article of clothing and leave it behind. The moment she is fully clothed and her phone is securely in her back pocket, Harley makes her way to the door.

Twenty minutes later, Harley is standing in front of a large window, lost in thought and gently playing with a bouquet of flowers. She touches the daisies under her hands, tapping each and every one of their yellow buds before watching their delicate, white petals close around themselves. She inhales deeply, smelling the wonderful scent of blossom, roses and lavender. She closes her eyes, letting the sun prickle her pale skin. She is so relaxed it is unreal.

Ivy's flowers always have this effect on her.

The birds flutter around in the sky, so peaceful and happy. She frowns at the sight, wishing that was her. She stares at the striking, blue sky. It is clear and cloudless, a rare thing to see in Gotham.

She closes her eyes, focusing on the chirping of birds and the soft breeze on the other side of the window that makes the trees rattle. She feels the pressure of her lids press down, everything around her turning black as she rests her eyes.

Harley hears something or someone stirring behind her and the mumbling of her name. She smiles at the peace hearing it brings her. She opens her eyes to take one last glance at the sky before turning around and seeing Doc laid out on a hospital bed.

He mumbles something that sounds like "safe," though how can he still say her name and that word in the same sentence? Doc is strapped to monitors and different machines, as well as to an oxygen tank. His face and hands are wrapped in white bandage, the burns too severe for the air to hit it.

The nurses kept assuring her that everyone is doing exactly what they are supposed to do, and that Doc and his wife are in very good hands, but she's never felt so helpless, so guilty.

Instinctively, she holds the fatherly figure's hand tightly, wishing more than anything that she could've kept him and his wife safe and away from the hands of Victoria. Although Harley has temporarily conquered Victoria and has successfully fled from her grasp, having Doc and her friends be around her will always bring them too close to danger. What if the next time they are threatened, she is too late?

Careful not to pull at any of the tubes or wires Doc is connected to, she sits down gently on the edge of his bed. It is so painful to see her best friend broken this way, and even harder because she knows she is to blame. If I hadn't came back to Gotham, none of this would have happened, she sniffles. The worst part of all of this, is not being able to go after Victoria and finish her off herself. She has probably already changed locations and moved to another dingy hotel.