24. Phantom Menace

Start from the beginning

Sollux stopped, sighing deeply. "Why can't we get a happy ghost story for once."

"Ghost don't form after dying a happy death Sollux." Aradia's mood certainly dropped after hearing that story too, but they were talking about ghosts. You don't become one without some form of tragedy following behind you. "At least we have a name now. Died not much younger than us too."

"That kinda explains why he hasn't hurt the kids either, I guess." Karkat sighed, crouching down, and holding onto his head. "Now I feel bad that I might have to kick this guy's ass now. Crippled, died, became a ghost, and then getting shoved into the Ghost Zone is a hell of a lot."

"If it makes you feel any better, he didn't die in front of the kids watching the play." Sollux winced at the groan that came from Karkat. "Maybe we can talk this one down too. He's probably just overreacting to something."

"That's not the usual pattern for us though." Aradia counted on her fingers their usual process. "Usually we find out a problem is happening, find the ghost responsible, fight it twice, and then either defeat them or resolve the misunderstanding. That's how the process goes."

"Dear god, that really is the process. Why the fuck is there a process?" Karkat just wanted to go to bed. Forget about ghost crap for a while and maybe get some rest. "If god actually exists, he must hate us."

"It is pretty episodic." Sollux closed his laptop with a grimace. "So, you gonna call Ampora to help out again? Keep building trust with that guy and his supervillain dad?"

"Maybe. I don't think you've even met each other yet." Karkat sighed. This was a topic he could handle. "You'll get a read off him too. I think he's good, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion."

Karkat dialed up the number before they could change their minds. He put the phone on speaker, holding it up so his friends could hear. It took two rings for Eridan to pick up.

"Hello?" Eridan almost sounded surprised at the call, as if he hadn't expected it. "Who's calling?"

"The queen of England." Karkat rolled his eyes before answering truthfully. "It's me. I'm calling about another ghost thing happening in town."

"Ah, hey Kar." Eridan took a minute to actually think about the other boy said before replying. "Another ghost attack? Jeez, this place really does sound infested."

"Tell me about it." Karkat scoffed. He blamed the portal, but he was starting to wonder if other things were coming at play here. Dualscar perhaps? Or something else? "This one's at least native to here. I don't think he's dangerous and I've got some info on him already, but I think it's about time you met the other hunters working with me."

"You work with other hunters?" Karkat almost facepalmed as he realized he never mentioned the other two before. He could already hear the jeers they'd use on him later. "Oh, right. You said other people were there during your..."

"Yeah." Karkat didn't want to talk about The Accident right now. Not even remotely the time. "I can text you where and when if you want to come along."

"I'd be happy too. It'd be nice to actually exercise my ghost powers some more." It sounded like there was a but to this. "But that might be difficult. I promised to meet up with Fef today and I don't think I can cancel that."

"Shit. Sorry to hear that." Karkat figured that would be a possibility. "Can't really tip her off I guess."

"Actually, maybe we can, I don't know, bring her along?" Eridan threw the suggestion out there, causing Karkat to pause. Eridan must've took it as a no and tried pushing forward. "Look, she's just been asking about you and it seems like she wants to get to know you. Plus, she hasn't made as many friends yet and knowing how to fight a ghost might help her if this keeps happening."