27. Subtle

S U B T L E G L A N C E S

*

It took all I had not to stare at Brandy when she walked out to me the first time for our night, in a navy blue dress that fit her perfectly.

"How do you wear those?" I asked as I took her hand, staring at her high heels as she stepped out of the car we had been driven in.

"Easily," She answered simply. At my bland expression, she smiled, "I used to do ballet. These are easy compared to those shoes."

"How about walking with a thousand eyes on you?" I raised an eyebrow, linking her arm with mine.

She raised an eyebrow back, the corner of her nude shade lips tilting in a playful smirk, "Give me a challenge, won't you?"

I scoffed, walking towards the entry of the gala, where people were taking billions of pictures of insignificant people. And then the few who took pictures of Brandy.

As we entered the hall, a deep scowl etched its way onto my face. I hated the waste of money used to create this event. I hated the people here. I hated everything about this place.

Except for the girl next to me, eyes glistening like the chandelier as she stood in awe at the architecture and art painted on the ceiling. I was thankful she was here, arm wrapped in mine.

"Christian, hello," I met Elise's eyes, noticing they had dimmed since I last saw her. They flickered between Brandy and me, our linked arms.

"Elise, seems so soon to see you again," She laughed, but there was something about it that sounded forced, "This is Brandy."

"Like the liquor?" There was a tone of mocking laced in Elise's voice that clicked something in Brandy - the snob bringing out her bad side. It was the same rude nature my mother had shown. I took two glasses of champagne, preparing myself.

Brandy clicked her tongue in irritation, "Yes, like the liquor. Quite a popular drink. And Elise. Für Elise, that's where your parents found inspiration for your name, yes?" I finished both flutes, taking another two for Brandy as well this time.

There was a petty and proud look in Elise's eyes from Brandy's observation, "Yes."

I handed Brandy the champagne, the gorgeous girl smiling graciously to me before meeting Elise's eyes once again with a narrowed eyes, "It's funny that the piece ended up being called such a name, considering it wasn't 'for Elise' at all. It was actually meant Therese Malfatti, I believe her name was, because Ludwig van Beethoven was undyingly in love with her. The name was lost because his handwriting was misread, ergo, it being Für Elise, rather than Für Therese." I forced myself to hold back an ungentlemanly snort by taking another drink, "It's quite a pity that a lot of people think it's a love song for a girl named Elise when it was never meant for her at all," Brandy gave a shrug, taking a sip of her champagne as Elise stood gaping at her.