12. Noticeable

N O T I C E A B L E

*

I hated how easy it became to see Brandy around. I noticed her all the time. In the halls, during class, anywhere at any time.

I stared out to the glass windows, watching as she danced, pushing herself closer and closer to a break down.

She was her own saboteur.

The ponytail she had pulled her hair up into was slowly coming undone as she matched the rhythm of the music echoing through the room.

She wore everyday workout clothes, though she was pushing herself so much harder than most people who went to the gym. Her flexibility was unmatched as she stretched her leg above her head, toes almost en-pointe on the floor though they were bare.

"Valdez! For god's sake, at least pretend to pay attention," my eyes snapped over to Coach Seawell, his permanent scowl fixed on me. His face was pale and his eyes partially bloodshot.

A few boys held back their snickers, knowing fully what would happen if they were to actually laugh.

I rolled my eyes at his testosterone filled anger, "We're playing soccer, not contributing to society in any way. God, you act like P.E. is actually important."

I swear, in that moment, I could see steam rising from his bright red face. His pores were almost larger than his hairy nostrils.

"Don't make me get angry at you, boy," He grit out, his knuckles clenched with his jaw.

I smirked ever so slightly, my arms behind my back and I leaned forward to test whether he would actually punch me in the face like he so clearly desperately wanted to do. It was amusing to watch the man hold himself back for the sake of his job, just to lose his pride. A pride was all a man like him had, and I was taking it bit by bit as I tested his fists.

But what can I say? I don't mind the pain. Worth it for some fun.

"Do your worst, come on."

"Get the fuck out of my face, kid," as he grit out the last word, I couldn't help but to notice the receding hairline he seemed to try and comb over, the greys filtering in with the light brown.

"Where to, old man?"

He huffed at my quip, voice blaring in my eardrums, "Anywhere but here you little rat, go!"

I sneered back at him, heading to the change room and grabbing my stuff. I pulled my sweaty shirt over my head, scowling as I saw my tainted reflection in the mirror. The scars that littered my body were almost something I was proud of. My face my have looked the part of some sort of Prince Charming, but I sure as hell wasn't going to play it.

I changed back into my normal clothes, walking by the windows I had got so distracted by from a different angle.

Brandy's eyes were locked to the wall, anger obvious by her clenched fists. She turned around to the field through the glass, shutting the curtains that showed her to her peers.

It was only a second before she changed the song, moving in a way I hadn't seen her before. It was contemporary, less gentle but still as graceful. I realised she danced with a standing mirror, now with her en pointe shoes strapped around her calves.

'if "i love you" was a promise,

would you break it, if you're honest?

tell the mirror what you know she's heard before.

"i don't wanna be you.

anymore."'

She dropped herself to the floor in front of the mirror, as if she was admitting defeat to herself.