38. Don't

D O N ′ T L E T M E G O

*

Brandy smiled, stretching her arms above her head, "I can't believe we've been in bed all day," She whispered with a small laugh, moving back to wrap an arm around me.

I brushed some hair out if her face, smiling softly back, "You were asleep until 1, does that count?"

"Well it's four, so yes."

"Thank you for coming over," I whispered, watching her eyes as they darted between both of mine.

"Of course," She spoke easily, a playful glimmer in her golden eyes, "Wanna come with me somewhere?"

"Sure, where did you have in mind?"

We found ourselves at a party a few hours later, organised by a member of Pierre's band, Ben. He seemed nice enough, Brandy told me that 'Ben' used to be 'Beth', but he preferred being himself than what he was born as. It made sense, to be what you wanted to be. Ben seemed happy, so that was all that really mattered. Brandy hadn't wanted to say it, because it really didn't matter, but thought it best to know so I wouldn't accidentally piss anyone off with the slip of my tongue when Ben would eventually get drunk enough to pull his shirt off. She told me it happened at every single party she had ever attended with Ben, and no one, not even Ben, knew why exactly.

The music was loud and drowned out every word that was stuck behind my lips. Brandy found herself on the dance floor after a drink or too, unable to get me to join. She made sure I would regret it, though, as she rocked her hips along to the beat of the song.

She ran her hand through her hair the way I always wanted to, taunting me from afar without even trying.

''cause you said it meant nothing,

and i should've kept my silence,

but i guess i'm too attached to my own pride to let you know.′

She was prettier in her loose jeans than any of the girls with their tight dresses, more beautiful in her natural complexion than dressed up like a doll. She only put lip gloss on, but it was enough to keep me at her every beck and call with each word that would leave her glistening pink lips.

Her baggy shirt swayed with her as she got lost in the music the way she always did in a calm state of mind. The drink in her hand was half empty. Her eyes slipped shut in, holding her safely in her own world.

'that all these words meant nothing,

and i've always been this heartless,

and we were just having sex.

no, i would never call it love.

but, love,′