twelve | the stick

"is it three or five?" penelope asks.

"three minutes." elena answered solemnly, intertwining her hand with carlotta's.

penelope nodded quietly, sitting down on a chair.

then came the wait. and of course, it felt like the longest wait ever.

the timer on penelope's phone beeped. "i can't do it." carlotta mumbles. elena and penelope both looked at her anxiously. she reached forward and flipped the test over, "it's...it's negative." "you're peeing on a second stick because i don't trust that first one." penelope hands her another one. "mami, why can't we just take her to a doctor to check?" elena suggested. "after this." penelope agreed. that was what she'd been planning to do too. "lupita...what is hap- ah!" lydia shrieked, "que es eso?" "it's negative. and yes, she's going to pee on a second one."

the same process repeats, except...lydia was around this time. "it's negative, again." carlotta announces to them.

"next step, we're taking you to the doctor's to get checked because you said you were worried someone might've y'know..."

"yeah, yeah i know." carlotta stops her from saying more.

"mija, what do you want for lunch? i know you're still feeling unwell." lydia asked.

"maybe just sopa de pollo, señora."

"okay." lydia got up and got out of the room, leaving them alone.

"alright, i'm gonna go give dr. berkowitz a call to see when you can pop by for the ob to see you."

finally, the couple was alone. "something just doesn't feel right." carlotta looks down at her feet, "i feel so nauseated all the time, i'm so repulsed by almost everything i used to be able to eat. why is that test negative? i don't understand why i'm feeling like this."

"i'm sorry, mi vida. but you're going to see dr. b soon, he'll be able to let us know for sure."

"alex, where are you going?" penelope asked.

"lunch with some friends." alex shrugged.

"did you ask me beforehand?" penelope arched a brow.

"no, but can i go?" alex grinned sheepishly, "just at porto's, then maybe we'll go play some basketball."

"alright, alright. i'm letting you go because i'm busy with carlotta. you'd better let me know in advance next time." penelope gave in, "as usual, here's ten bucks, if you want more...you're gonna have to use your savings if you have 'em."

"okay, got it. bye, mami. bye, abuelita." alex chuckles, grabbed his stuff then headed out.

— * —

"she's alright. no std's, no anything, the pregnancy test was negative." the doctor informs them.

again, carlotta asked why she'd been feeling so lousy of late. but she couldn't get an answer. she was frustrated about that, but what could she do, right? "my grades are dropping." carlotta tells penelope and elena. "i'll help you catch up, it's gonna be fine." elena promised. "un día a la vez." penelope cups her cheek, "you're honestly doing just fine." "how'd you know?" carlotta inquires as they got into the car. "i noticed how you've been recently and i called the school. incidentally, they also wanted to know if you're doing alright since they did notice your grades dropped." penelope explained. "when was that?" elena asked. "just yesterday." penelope said.

the two teenagers continued to look at her curiously. "relax, you two. you're doing fine. in fact, you're doing amazing." penelope assured, "let's go for some helado."