twenty-four | back to the east coast

"hey, i think i know what you guys should play at the wedding for first dance." lydia casually slipped into the room and the conversation.

"señora, we've already decided."

"can i know what it is?" lydia asks hopefully.

"no, abuelita. i'm sorry, and we don't want any other song. we have chosen one already. y ya."

"okay, i respect that." lydia answers.

"ay, mami. it's their big day- you're a badass too, but let them be in charge." penelope laughs.

"there's so much to do." elena spoke in an almost shriek.

"i'll help you ladies." penelope offered, "my offer still stands."

"we can't even decide on a venue! that's the main thing."

"okay, i'm free right now. so first thing's first- there's of course the ceremony, then the reception. what do you two envision?"

"we have been thinking about having the reception here." elena mentions.

"we just don't know if we should have the ceremony here, too. or elsewhere." carlotta sighs.

"did you guys pick a date yet?" penelope asks, lydia also asked the same question.

"that, yes. june 25th." carly confirms.

"actually, having the ceremony at the same venue and day would be great- only if you want to as well." elena lets out a soft gasp.

"now that i think about it, we'd save some money. why not? let's." she agrees, "we're only have a few friends at the wedding and...oh, wait."

"we have enough space to hold 183 cubans, mija. no worries." penelope chuckles, "our old apartment was smaller and we pulled it off."

"we did not have all 183 of them here at one go." elena corrected.

"girl, let me have my moment." penelope jokes, "but yeah, no we didn't. still, i don't think all of them will be able to make it to the wedding. just wait to hear back from them once invitations are sent out."

— * —

"ooh, you're both wearing suits?" penelope asks as they were looking through some ideas.

"yep." they respond at the same time.

"ooh...these shades of purple are really pretty." elena pointed out as carly leans closer to take a look.

their final decisions were made pretty quickly. elena showed carly the suit she wore for her quinces a few years back and carly just fell in love with it, saying she wanted to wear that if she could. of course, they were more than happy to let her and lydia even took her measurements so that she could make necessary adjustments. as for elena, she has also settled on a shade of purple she adored. again, lydia would be in charge of sewing the suit, just like for the quinces back then. except this time, she had way more time.

on sunday, the two of them had to head back to campus as usual. so, that's where the wedding planning hit pause. they always focused on their studies on weekdays and tried to keep most of other things to the weekends, wedding planning included.

"i'll see you for lunch okay, babe?" elena smiled, pecking her cheek before they part ways to go to their separate dorm rooms.

"mhm." she hums in response, giving elena's hand a squeeze and a kiss on the cheek in return.