sixteen | home

carlotta spent about five days in the hospital, two— almost three days being in a coma. when she first regained consciousness, she was so groggy and pumped up with the medications that she couldn't recognise anyone. also, she didn't manage to stay awake too long due to the pain meds being so strong that it made her drowsy. the next day, however, her mind was clearer and she actually recognised them. all of them, though she doesn't remember what happened during the incident itself because she hit her head and got a concussion. "you scared us." elena's voice was shaky as she'd been crying. "i'm sorry." she apologises, voice a little hoarse having not talked in a couple of days. "ay, mija. it's not your fault." penelope squeezed her hand lightly, giving her a smile. just as she let go, her phone rings.

"hello? yep, speaking."

penelope's face contorts into an expression none of them could read. it was a mix of so many emotions, they couldn't pin point it even to one.

"okay, yeah. she's still in the hospital, just regained her consciousness yesterday." penelope continues answering, "oak valley memorial. i guess we'll see you soon. thank you."

"who was that, mami?" elena asks. penelope takes her out from the room before talking again, "the police. they found the culprit." "really? who?" elena's eyes widened. "it's...um- apparently her mom and syd were working together planning all that." penelope revealed. "wh-what? i'm sorry, what?" elena chokes on her spit. "mija, i wished i heard that wrong but now i'm just as freaked as you are." penelope sighed, "they got security footage but it wasn't very clear. ended up asking around— the nearby shop owners and one of them saw it. they helped you call for the ambulance, right?" elena nodded, "yeah." "the shop owner found that the culprit seemed familiar too, even though he couldn't see the face." penelope scoffed, "turns out syd lives up his street. that's how he knew them." elena couldn't believe her ears...this sounded like something straight out of a movie. yeah, a horror movie that was now her life.

"the both of them cracked under pressure and confessed to it." penelope scoffs.

elena scoffs too, "i am so- ughhh."

"they're both locked up in prison now, so don't worry about that part. just focus on carly's recovery from this. okay, mija?"

"okay." elena agrees, giving a soft nod, "do we tell her now...?"

"i- elena, i honestly have no idea how badly she would react to the news. she's still quite weak- anything can just set her into a major freak out or even panic attack." penelope glances at her daughter, so unsure of what to do next.

*

two days later, carlotta was back home with the alvarez's. lydia made her favourite dishes as a way to celebrate her coming home. after lunch, elena and penelope planned on talking to her regarding the culprits being arrested.

"what?" carly shrieked, then just completely shut up. she was too shocked to say anything else like penelope and elena'd expected.

it had to be said, she'd be contacted anyway and be told. the alvarez's would very much rather be the ones telling her this piece of news rather than letting a stranger do it. that being said, this incident caused carlotta to live in constant fear and anxiety. her anxiety was off the rails whenever someone mentioned going outside. especially after dark.

"mamita, i don't want you to only stay at home all day." elena sighed helplessly.

carlotta bites her lower lip, apparent that she was scared but she didn't say a word. "i'm sorry." that was all she could say.