~The Great Sphinx~

Start from the beginning

"You were saying?" Keith said smugly, while Shiro was silent.

"Is that any way to talk to your, Leader?" Lana scolds and the boy grumbles. The paladins then land their lions in front of the monument and get out to look at it.

"So this is a ziggurat, huh? It does bare a slight resemblance to the temples back on Altea. But those were made from white stone." The altean princess says.

"Yeah, this one does appear to be made from metal. Surprising, it does kind of look like the pyramids on earth, but a pretty different design." Pidge adds.

"See! This proves aliens built the pyramids!" Keith exclaims. Shiro says nothing.

"It's massive guys! How do we find the sphinx thing that can tell us where the pearl is?" Hunk says.

"By the way, what is a spheen-keks?" Lana asked.

"The Sphinx, is another famous monument. There's only one on Earth, found in Egypt. It's a giant statue that appears like a being with the head of a man and the body of a lion." The green paladin answers.

"Huh? You mean like the Voltron lions?" the princess inquired.

"No. We have lions like them back on earth, but they're living animals and are lot smaller. The sphinx's body is modeled after them. One of its most famous traits is its lack of a nose. There are many theories on how it lost, but it most likely just eroded away." The smaller girl says.

Suddenly, the ziggurat lit up and began to transform. It rearranged and changed itself before their awestruck eyes, turning into what was probably the sphinx.

 It rearranged and changed itself before their awestruck eyes, turning into what was probably the sphinx

(An: Here's what it looks like in its Sphinx form.)

"I am the Great Universal Sphinx! Why have you disturbed me?" The great being spoke and asked. Hunk gulped nervously, while the others were stunned, then Lana proceeded to speak.

"Great Universal Sphinx, we are sorry to inconvenience you, but we are in need of your help. We seek the Yalexian Pearl, we need it to save our friend." Lana says.

"I am a Repository for great research. I have been analyzing life throughout the cosmos for over a million years. Of course I know where the pearl is. However, I do not know whether you are worthy of the information I hold. Tell me, who is the smartest and most knowledgeable among you." The Sphinx sates then asks.

"Oh, that'd be her." Lana says, pointing to Pidge.

"The green one." Hunk says also pointing to Pidge.

"The short one." Keith says gesturing to the said girl.

"That's Pidge." Shiro adds in agreement.

"Me." Pidge herself confirms.

"Very well. It is decided then. Your body, mind and spirit shall be tested. Enter to prove yourself... and save your friend." The Sphinx permits and changes back into its ziggurat form.