Twelve

"Kelly! Wake up and get dressed!" Taylor shook me violently out of my sleep.

I sat up, groaning tiredly. It's Saturday. This week went by all too fast and now, for the second time ever, I would be performing in front of a live audience. I had written the music, I had bought the clothes, I had gained the publicity; the crowd was not expected to be small.

"I'm up, I'm up." I batted her hands away from me as I crawled out of bed.

"Good! Now get dressed! Mimi and the rest are waiting for you downstairs." Taylor moved the bags of clothes we bought yesterday to the edge of my bed before trotting down the steps.

I sighed, looking at my phone. 10:12am. There were also two texts that I hadn't bothered to read. I went to the bathroom first to wash my face and groom myself as per usual. As well as trying not to allow my anxiety to have the better of my thoughts. I am singing in front of a crowd, by myself, playing guitar of a song I wrote. I could get booed off stage and become an entire wreck for the next week. Or I could become the singer I want to be.

When I was done in the bathroom, I put my straightened hair into a ponytail. I may wear it out since I pressed it, but I didn't want to choke myself as I dressed. I poured the clothes in the bags out on my bed and opened the two shoe boxes. I looked at the pile of clothes, pulling out white skinny jeans and a black short sleeve blazer. I could wear this with my ruffled shirt and the sneakers I bought. And so I did.

There was a knock at the door as I dressed, "Kelly? You dressed?" A masculine voice asked.

"Just about," I said, pulling the shirt over my head, "Give me a second!" I was pulling my jeans up when the door creaked open. Luckily, my pants were on when I noticed Chris' face peering in. "Chris?"

"Kelly." He said, pushing the door closed behind him.

"Why are you here?" I shoved my foot into one of the shoes, frantically grabbing a belt and looping it about my pants.

"Well, you did ask me to strum for you." He said, kneeling to tie my shoe for me, "Plus I'd like to hear you perform."

I grinned, grabbing the blazer and stepping into the matching other shoe, "I did?"

"Yes, you did, Kelly." He said, looking up at me as he tied my shoe again.

"Okay, well, do you remember when the show starts?" I asked. Just before he could answer, I stumbled while trying to reach past him for a necklace. He caught me before I could fall, looking at me a grinning widely. I could feel the feeling of a blush consuming my face.

"11:15am, sharp." He answered, taking the jewelry from my hand. I turned around, moving my hair from my neck as he fastened it around my neck. "Are you ready?"

I smiled, reaching past him for a bottle of perfume and a brush. "Yes, I am. But you have to carry my guitar."

He chuckled, agreeing and going to get the cased instrument with its sheet music inside. The two of us went downstairs to meet the others and we all filed out into two cars: Jacob's and Chris'. I sat in the passenger seat by Chris while the other four-Taylor, Alex, Trevver, and of course the driver-were in Jacob's car. Miona attended a community college that she would transfer out of by the end of the semester.

I made sure that no one was tailing us, considering any and everyone who knows of me wants to be at the show seemingly. Otherwise, I was trying to calm my nerves as I fixed my hair. The only helpful thing I could think of was that my friends would be there to cheer me on. And hopefully my mother. I would love to see my mother in the crowd, even if she does embarrass me with cheery shouts. As long as I knew she was there, I would be okay.