Five

I must have fallen asleep in Jacob's lap. I woke up to the sound of laughter; Taylor, Mimi, and him were still in my room. I fluttered my eyes open, slowly sitting up. "Are they gone?" I yawned, stretching.

"Is what gone?" Taylor questioned, looking at me,

"The reporters, duh?"

"Those reporters aren't the only things gone..." Mimi mumbled.

I looked at Jacob who was figuring wings with his hands. I reached my hand to my back, feeling an emptiness where my wings should be. I grew puzzled, standing to look in the body-view mirror. "Where'd they go?"

The other three shrugged, just as confused as I was.

I felt a bit of sadness and relief next to my confusion. "Did you see them disappear?" Mimi shrugged, Taylor shook her head, and Jake just stared at me, blankly. "Jake?"

"Well," he rubbed his neck awkwardly, "they like, folded into your back, kinda sorta..."

My heart skipped a beat. My wings did what? "What?"

Jacob shrugged, obviously not willing to repeat his answer. I flexed my back a little, not feeling any pain, any discomfort. It did feel a little stiffer than normal, but otherwise it was fine.

I shrugged the idea off, sitting back on the bed with them. My ice cream was no longer on the mattress; I assumed it was put in the small fridge I have in my room. Now, I craved it. I asked Mimi to retrieve it for me, and she brought it to me with a spoon.

"So I hear you're doing an open Mic, Kel?" Jacob attempted to create small talk. I nodded, filling my mouth with a spoonful of ice cream, "Do you have a song yet?"

I shook my head, swallowing, "I have some I could sing, but I want to make something new."

Taylor squealed, "Kelly!" I looked at her, confused, and slightly annoyed by her loud, pitched voice. "You so have to make an official page!"

My shoulders fell, "Really?"

She nodded, "You could be a signed songwriter and singer!"

Mimi agreed, "As awkward as it feels to agree, she's right. Who wouldn't love a singer with wings?"

I guess they're right. I glanced at Jacob, waiting for his take, "You could make a band. I could be your drummer, Taylor could..."

"Piano?" Taylor rolled her eyes

"Yea, that. And you and Mimi could be the singers and guitarists."

"But we'd sing backup if you need it." Taylor chimed.

Perhaps they're right, but me? The stage-frightened loser? Why do I have to be the one with wings? I continued thinking on how much pressure will surface from the preparation of the Open Mic, and 'fame' while the others continued on the smaller details of this proclaimed future fame. Jake mentioned me being attractive, Taylor brought up my flat-chestedness, and Mimi talked about my "addicting, angelic soprano voice".

Secretly, I wished my wings wouldn't come back. The part of me that wants to be free, however, does want them. It did feel good being able to experience flight outside of an airplane or paragliding or parasailing or even skydiving (though I never skydived before).

Mimi's phone vibrated. She answered it, finding out the Open Mic was this Saturday coming. At least it's still Monday, and it's only 1:34 in the evening. It feels like longer than half a morning, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Jacob told us he had to meet with his band. They'd probably talk about me, or Jacob futuristically leaving to be apart of... Of... "Hey, guys, what would we call our band?"