Ten

Mimi and Taylor are determined they'd take me shopping today. I was against the idea entirely, but considering I'm in Mimi's car, I don't have much say. That didn't matter much, though. I was left to my thoughts on yesterday all too often. But they were wonderful thoughts. I can't get over Chris' voice still. Such a rich quality, I'd die to go to a concert of his if he had one.

"Kelly!" Mimi shouted from the driver's seat, "You never told us about yesterday."

I sighed, letting my tense shoulders drop. Jacob probably told Taylor, who probably told Mimi. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything!" Taylor added as Mimi pulled from the stop light, "No skipping details."

I leaned my head against the headrest, recalling how magical yesterday was. From his snoring to our duet, everything was just perfect. "We went to the movies first and saw Annie. The movie was more watching him than he was watching it and I had to tolerate his terrible snore." I chuckled, remembering the cute little nose whistle when he snores. "Then we got pizza and..."

I saw Mimi adjust the rearview in my peripheral. "And then?"

I looked at her in the mirror, "Then, he took me to where we met: the park dad used to take me to." I sighed, shifting uncomfortably, "He pulled out a blanket and lanterns and we had a mini-picnic."

"With pizza?" Taylor asked. I nodded, smiling at her, "He's sounds corny..."

Mimi and I laughed, remarking a out how she is dating my brother, of all the idiots in the world. "Regardless of what we ate, I wish I had taken pictures. The one picture he did take was terrible and I still secretly want him to delete it."

"Well, in my personal opinion," Mimi interjected, "I think you two sound like the ideal movie couple and I'm very jealous."

I smiled, looking at my phone, "I'll take that as a compliment." I said, opening the message I just received. It was a picture message from Chris. Mimi and Taylor were murmuring about something involving my body shape, so I heard. But I was paying more attention to the sneak-shot Chris took.

From: Chris

An angel fell asleep in my car :O I must have been in Heaven for a moment!

12:34pm

I was in the passenger seat, my head leaning on the window, my hair covering my lifeless face, and Chris was making a false surprised expression. I couldn't help but grin to myself, hoping that Miona and Taylor don't notice and question me to death. As much as I hated taking pictures, that was actually a half decent photo.

To: Chris

Haha it depends on your definition of "heaven"

12:36pm

When I looked up from my phone, I could see the mall we usually go to in sight. Thankfully, it was Friday and Mimi's temporary allowance was given to her by her parents. Taylor had a side job, so her pay was picked up before they got me, and my mom sends me a little whenever I say "shopping money". Amongst the three of us was maybe $600-$800. Yea, Mimi and I are a little spoiled, but she gets way more than I do. If my projected singing career takes off and Mimi gets her job, however, money won't be an issue.

I stepped out of the car after Mimi parked. I hadn't really interrupted her and Taylor's twittering since I received Chris' picture message. They went from talking about my body, to talking about stalking Chris, to talking about Jacob. Because their topic of conversation was so jumpy, I decided to keep out of it as a whole.

I hadn't really a specific outfit o had in mind for tomorrow, but it'll be what I'm comfortable in. Nevertheless, shopping occurred. It mainly happened as such: the three of us waltz into a store, one of us spot a cute shirt, one disagrees and finds something else until we come to a consensus, someone see something in the window of another store, and the cycle repeats. My rule was that the color couldn't be one I didn't like, not by majority that is.

Too many times, however, my back gave me odd aches. We were at the food court, talking about how tomorrow would go: "I gotta make a bathroom run, I'll be right back." I informed as I pushed my chair away from the table.

"We'll wait here for you," Taylor said as I walked away, "Mimi's getting more food anyways."

I nodded, heading around the corner towards the bathroom. Luckily, there was an exit just past it which I could leave through. It was for staff but I didn't see anyone who might cause trouble. I checked behind me a final time before pushing the door open. It felt a little nice outside, the weather I loved the most: windy but still warm.

"Hey!" I heard from my right, "you're not allowed back here, miss."

I looked over at him with a kind smile. "Can you keep a secret?"

He looked over his shoulder before innocently questioning, "Why?"

I grinned and outstretched my wings. "Don't tell anyone you saw me, ok?"

His mouth was ajar but he nodded, seeming memorized by what he just saw. With a few swoops, I was in the air. I don't know where I'm going but it felt nice just to stretch my wings. I hadn't used them in what feels like forever. I was just flying westward for a.little, until I saw the playground from the other day. The one where I met that woman. I landed behind the nearby houses and walked over to one of the swings. I hadn't noticed the woman and her two children until I heard their excited "Woah!"

The two of them ran up to me, pleading "Can I touch your wing? Please!"

I smiled kindly, granting their guiltless wishes. I saw the woman from here staring at me uncomfortably. She looked as if she'd seen my dead apparition, the same one her two children would be touching and conversing with. My face fell, her dreary disapproval messing with my head a little. But I broke into a smile again at a thought: your children appreciate me, why can't you?

The little boy ran over to the woman. "Look, Aunt Clara, one of her feathers fell. Can I keep it?"

Her gaze hadn't wavered. She shook her head, pushing her children towards the houses. I exhaled, looking at my shoes. These were my favorite yet most warn pair. I had doodled little inspirational mantras over the white soul of my converses with pen. One read 'fix your posture.' I wrote that during a lecture at school, before break. I have a tendency to walk with my head down. It was noticeable by teachers, staff, and even a boy I'd been talking to. And even now am I noticing my own flaw. I sat up, on the swing seat, looking to the cloudy blue sky. Tomorrow, I birth an entirely new Kelly. One who's over shyness. My phone vibrated in my pocket. I took it out, reading the message I received. Mimi was asking where I was.

To: Mimi

I went to the bathroom. I'm coming.

1:13pm

I sighed, standing and stretching before taking flight. The image of the family of three was still bouncing around my head. Trying to forget the woman unpleasant expression was the task, as well as trying to not to forget the excitement of her niece and nephew, namely the nephew. His happy face is the only thing that replayed in my mind. Look, Aunt Clara, one of her feathers fell. Can I keep it? The dejection that showed after she said no pained me, however. No matter: people like Clara are a factor of life the both me and her nephew will avoid. I smile to myself as I return to the mall.

The man from earlier was still there. I hid my wings, flashing him a smile before walking inside. I went into the bathroom and washed my hands, in case the girls questioned me. I went back to the table and they were checking out some guy; they hadn't noticed I even returned. That was okay for me.