Chapter 5: Going On A Shopping Trip

After having a sandwich at the apartment, Thomas stands up. 

"Ready to go get you some new clothes?" Thomas asked. I nodded, at first.

"Wait," I say. I can't be seen.

"I know, you can't be seen. I was thinking I'd go find something simple, like jeans and a couple t-shirts." Thomas said.  I nodded. 

"I don't know my size," I say. Thomas nods, thinking.

"I buy a couple sizes and we can return them after you try them, and I'll get more of that size," 

"Okay," I say. After locking up, I remember I don't have my bag. 

"Where's my bag?" I ask. Thomas runs to his car and opens the door. He stands up and has my bag in his hands. 

"Oh, thank God," I say. Thomas hands it to me and I sling it over my shoulder, quickly. 

"What's in there?" Thomas asks. I look inside. 

"A book, a necklace, some granola bars, and..." I trail off. Thomas looks at me suspiciously.

"And...what?" Thomas asks.

"A knife," I whisper. His eyes widen.

"Why do you need a knife in that abandoned house?" Thomas asks. 

"Trespassers," I whisper, again. He looks confused. 

"You've killed someone before?" Thomas asked. I nodded, slowly.

"I don't ever want to. I just don't have any other choice," I say. He shakes his head and grabs my hand. 

"Madi," He stops. I knew this surprised him. He probably thought differently about me now. I had lost all the trust I had made with him. I knew it. 

"I'm sorry, maybe another time," I said quietly. I turned and walked in the other direction, back behind the apartment building. Thomas wasn't following me. I kept walking out towards the river. I had no idea where the apartment was in the city, but I knew the river would lead me back to the old house. Thomas didn't want a killer. He didn't want the broken girl I really am. he just wanted to rush in and save someone. To feel good about himself.

The clouded sky did bring rain into the gloomy world. I couldn't stop thinking about Thomas. He was so nice, and so friendly, and super adorable..I couldn't believe I met him, but I knew it was too good to be true. The rain pelted my skin, after leaving my coat in my...in Thomas's guest room. It hurt to keep walking. I felt like I was leaving a piece of my heart with Thomas. I couldn't just leave like this. I turned my head to look behind me. No Thomas. If he wasn't following me that must be a sign. I wasn't meant to live a life. I was forever doomed to being dead. Metaphorically, or course. 

-----------------

I walked back to my car, dying inside. Aching. Why did Madi resolve to killing someone? Or was it more than one person? I don't think I'll ever know. She left. It hurt like hell not to have her beside me, walking with that cute timidness inside her broken soul. I wanted to make her happy. To help her. To make her life special. But that was behind me, now. There was no way she was coming back. It was hard for me to accept the way she lived. And I guess, still lives. It burned a hole into my heart. 

I found myself parking by a clothing store, unaware I drove myself here. It was the store I was going to take Madi to. I got out of my car and wiped the side of my face. I guess I had been crying, my face was wet. I walked inside and stood as the door closed, the little shop bell ringing behind me, signaling my presence. 

"Hello! Welcome to The Cotton Mill. Can I help you find anything?" A blonde woman asked, possibly middle aged. I slowly brought my gaze around to her.

"Uh, yeah. Where are the woman’s jeans?"

----------------------

After about an hour of walking, I made it back to the old house. By now the sun had gone down, the darkness becoming too overwhelming. I got into the house and was met by an unusual brightness in the house. It looked like a lantern moving around the house. I have a visitor. 

"Yeah, the story tells that an entire family was murdered right here," an older man spoke. His words pierced my eardrums, the raspiness in them could send a ghost back to its grave. 

"You're kidding!" Another voice spoke, this one sounded younger, also male. I hid behind the couch, waiting for them to enter the room.

"Yeah, I knew the family personally," the old man said, guiding the younger man into the living room. 

"It's nice to see you again, sir" I said, staying hidden behind the couch. The footsteps stopped, the light didn't move an inch more.

"Randy, was that you?" The older gentleman asked. This "Randy" character must have shook his head no, because no words were spoken.

"Who's there?" The older man spoke, in a kind of whisper.

"Madison, you remember me, don't you?" I said, slipping a hand up on top of the couch. A gasp came from both gentlemen. I could feel their eyes on my hand, waiting to see its owner. 

"No, not particularly," the man said, shaking slightly as he spoke.

"I know," I said, my arm now all the way onto the couch. I began to stand up.

"Because you lie," I said, standing all the way up. The looks on their faces was priceless. Wide eyed. Straight out of your typical horror film. 

"If you're going to tell the story, at least tell it right," I said. I jumped up onto the couch and the men huddled together.

"Are you, a g-ghost?" The younger man asked. 

"You could say that," I said, smiling wide. The older man took one step towards me and I let out a blood curdling scream. The two men, instead of running away, stayed frozen. Their eyes softened and the younger man smiled.

"You're not a ghost," the older man said, a smirk on his face.

"You're just a little girl!" the younger man, Randy, said. I kept my cool, pulling my bag out from behind me. 

"What do you got there?" the older man asked.

"What, I can't read? You're a distraction at the moment, sir. I'd like it if you'd leave," I said, pulling out my book. I opened it and started to read. 

"I'm afraid we can't leave," the older man said. 

"Alright, then I will," I said. I put my book away and slipped off of the couch. "Have a good night, gentlemen," I said. I started walking out the door when the men began to whisper. As soon as I was out the door I began to run. I ran and ran away from my home. Where I was planning on going? I had no idea. Fear started to let itself flow into my heart. I had seen those men before, they were the people my dad swerved to avoid hitting with his truck as we crashed into the river.