Chapter 16: Daddy, Are They Real?

10 YEARS LATER

"Then what happened, Dad?" William asked. 

"Well, son, they got married. I was the best man, Kaya was the maid of honor. It was the most beautiful wedding. They held it outside, on a warm summer day. England had never looked more beautiful. It was Madi. She made it beautiful. She was stunning. I still have those wedding pictures, somewhere," Dylan said, smiling down at his youngest son. 

"Was Thomas your best friend?" Tom, Dylan's oldest, asked. Dylan sighed and rubbed his neck. 

"I used to spend all of my time at Thomas and Madi's house. Sometimes, I used to sit outside with Madi and look at the stars from her old house. Those were some of the best nights of my life. Sitting outside, alone with Madi. The sky was almost as beautiful as her," Dylan said, looking out at the stars. His eyes dropped to his lap and he sighed. 

"You loved her, didn't you, Daddy?" Tom asked. Dylan smiled, his heart filled with joy at the thought. 

"It sure felt like it, son. At one point, I had to move in with them, you see. That was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It hurt every time I saw them kiss each other goodnight, or cuddle together to watch movies. But I lost my job, so I didn't have a lot of choices. It wasn't the acting, this was after my acting career came to a stand still. I was a sports broadcaster, for a very brief time. But when I lost that job, Thomas and Madi took me in with open arms. Boys, that's what true friendship is," Dylan said, looking down at his two little boys. They both had brown hair and brown eyes, just like their father. Their mother had dark features, as well. 

"How long did you stay with them?" William asked. Dylan shifted a bit in his chair, getting more comfortable. 

"Long enough. They helped me get back on my feet. I couldn't pay for rent, so I earned my keep by helping around the house, and, when the time came, taking care of their baby girl, Teresa. I was most likely the worlds worst babysitter, but you know, she's still alive so I must have done something right," Dylan said, smiling. His boys laughed and flipped over onto their stomachs so they could be more comfortable. They were in their pajamas, lying on their bed. This was tonights bed time story.

"How old is she, Daddy?" William asked, again. Dylan thought for a couple seconds.

"I believe she is 7 now. She's 1 year older than you, William. and the same age as you, Tom," Dylan said. The boys nodded in approval. 

"Did you meet Mommy through Madi?" Tom asked. Dylan nodded.

"Your Mom was Madi's best friend," Dylan said. The boys nodded.

"I miss Mom," William said, quietly.

"We all do, son," Dylan said, trying hard not to let tears come to his eyes.

"Daddy, do you miss Thomas and Madi?" Tom asked.

"Yes, I do. I miss them everyday," Dylan answered. He started to tear up. 

"Daddy don't cry," William said. The two boys jumped off of the bed and sat on their dads lap. 

"Thank you for telling us that bedtime story," Tom said.

"Anytime, boys," Dylan said.

"Tell us again?" William asked. Dylan sighed and picked up his boys. He sat down on the bed with one boy on each side of him.

"Well, it all started when a girl walked into the middle of the street, unknowingly."