-14-

"It's just a way our body reacts to stress," the doctor looked at Ben.

Today morning, the first thing Hailey did was go to the clinic with him. He stopped saying he was fine and agreed to go with her, the fact that he had a fever for almost a whole day probably started to scare him too.    

"It's nothing serious, not even ineffective. It's just a really bad feeling, right?" He asked and looked at him.

"Yes," Ben nodded. "I know it's not bad, it's just my.." He looked at Hailey.

"I'm his little sister, of course I'd be worried."

"Okay, I'm gonna get you medicine prescription for the fever, take it only if you feel the need. Not more than once a day." He started to speak and scribble long words on a paper.

She really just called me her brother? She'd better get up and slap me, it'd feel the same anyway. That was the only thing Ben could think about. When they got out he didn't say a word, just went to the car.

"I admit I overreacted a bit." She caught up with him.

"Yeah.." Ben mumbled, but slowed down when he felt dizzy. "Well, the younger sister always speaks nonsense." He rolled his eyes.

"What?" She raised an eyebrow and got into the car.

"Nothing. Are you going home?"

Her mouth opened slightly but she didn't say anything for a few seconds. "I thought we were going to your place," He nodded indifferently. "Are you okay?" She glanced at him. He didn't reply, and she started thinking. "Is this about what I said to the doctor?"

"I don't know, if you're my sister then I don't have a reason to be mad."

"Oh come on Ben, I..." She started but stopped.

"What?"

"You know it's complicated..."

"Is this embarrassing you?"

"Embarrassing? No!" She said, they got out of the car and got into his house. "I'm more scared, what would be people's reaction... aren't you?"

"No. Why would I care about other people's opinions? These are our lives."

"Of course these are our lives, but it's still scary. What do you think my mom would say? 'Wow great, goodluck!'?"

"No, but maybe it should blow out once so we don't have to be a secret all the time. Is it fun living in fear?"

"Why would it be fun living in fear? Is it too much to ask that we'll wait with this for some time before people know?" Her voice started to sound irritated and she took a step forward.

Ben rubbed his eyes. "I don't know what to tell you Hailey, it was annoying. Is it too much to ask to be annoyed?" He had an irritating sarcastic smile. She didn't say anything, and he went to his room. Why am I not worried like her? Ben thought. He didn't care who knew, what people would think... He wanted to go out with her hand in hand, he wanted to show her off.  

Ben laid on his bed and closed his eyes. Hailey was still downstairs, he wondered for a moment if he hurt her. Cause it wasn't his purpose. After a few minutes Ben felt the edge of the bed sinking, he opened his eyes and saw Hailey. "Hailey, drop it... it's okay." He said and kept looking at the ceiling.

"No, I don't want you to be mad at me. Let me explain myself." She laid beside him and leaned on her hand. "I'm still scared, okay? Maybe you don't care, and it flatters me. But I have my fears. Can you let me gather my courage, or not?"