15. Part of the crew

Valentina

My exit might have been unnoticed but my arrival wasn't. Gabriel came to escort me back and against my better judgment, I came with him.

When I entered, Maria was fuming. She didn't even make eye contact. If it was left to her, she might not even hesitate to spank me. The tantrum kid that I was, I didn't inform her personally of my decision to leave. She didn't like the note I placed, stating my will to stay at my dad's place for a few days.

There remained no doubt that I screwed up with her.

She sat on a couch, dedicating her vision towards a magazine and trying her best to avoid me. After spending a few days at home, I felt a respite from looking over my shoulder. Nobody said it would be easy but nobody informed me of the mental agony I would suffer, hurting the good people of this family.

When I walked nearer to Maria, her body shifted seemingly to avoid even my shadow.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked. Her gaze moved up from the magazine. Deciding against any talk, she slipped back into reading. Kneeling in front of her, I wrapped held her hands with mine. "Please talk to me...I didn't do anything."

Technically true. I did leave a note. I couldn't fathom what she wanted.

Maria scanned my face. After tossing her shielding magazine on the coffee table, she muttered. "Porque te fuiste sin decir nada." (You left without saying)

"I left a note," I said. I know it wasn't enough but it was my only defense. "Okay fine...Please forgive me. I'll make sure next time I'll call and inform you."

Her eyes shot up and so did her hand which landed on me softly. She didn't hit me. Well, even if she would have, I wouldn't have minded. Her palm landed on the back of my head, a soft tap for my words. A soft smile grew on her face and I remembered it was how she always smiled. Warmly. She stood up and twirled me as if evaluating my condition.

"There are no scratches..." I giggled and she repeated her earlier act, twirling me counterclockwise. It made her smile some more.

"You already lost weight. Was your father not feeding you?" She scanned me completely and my eyes followed her. She must be a worrier to assume someone could lose weight in a span of a few days.

I placed my hands over her shoulder, rattling her out of evaluation. "You can feed me now. Okay?"

Her vigorous nod confirmed it was what she wanted all along.

Darker thoughts overtook the bleak ray of happiness as I walked back to my room. Maria cared for me. Like a mother hen unaware of the eagle eying her chicks, she went on with her life. Maria wasn't feeding me, she was feeding a snake who would ultimately bite her hand, take away what she cherished the most.

My bedroom door was ajar. Inside, Gabriel sat in the same corner as the first time, reading his book. His eyes bore into the papers, unaware of my presence. I watched his hooded eyes draw up to check the intruder.

"How did you convince her? Maria..." he asked. He carefully slid the placeholder in the book, neatly stacking it over the pile that sat across the table from him.

Falling on the bed, I sniffed the fresh sheet. Limey detergent smell filled my senses, watered my eyes. The room felt different, strange. As if going away from it gave me a new perspective. I sat up, leaning over the pillow I placed on my lap. "I have my ways, you know..."