Chapter 7

I rolled my eyes. I had a lot of cousins in school. It used to be nice you know, to hang out with each other. But now, no. Not after what they did. I looked at Kamal for a second before turning to Hafsa.

“You know me better than anyone on earth to know that I won’t do such stuff” I spit out. Before she could reply, Lynn shut her up.  I never saw her walking over here.

“And you know her better than anyone to know that you shouldn’t go this far. So it would be nice if you left and went to bother your oh-so-nice brother” my friend said to Hafsa with her brow raised. Hafsa was always a bit scared of Lynn cause Lynn was a badass kind of girl. She had courage to do everything and she was always doing what she wanted. She was the only one who stood by my side after everything. Hafsa threw a last glare at me before walking off.

“I could’ve got it handled myself very nicely” I told her. She looked at her nails and started biting her thumb.

“As if she would just leave you alone. These people are cruel, Manar. Being patient isn’t enough” she said and I knew what she meant with it. I am not really good with backbiting so its kind of hard when, especially family, are throwing words at you.

“And who is this?” she asked, looking at something behind me. I turned and saw Kamal still standing there.

“I’m Kamal. Now, could you give me and Manar a second?” he said to her. She just nodded and looked at me. I just knew what she meant when I looked in her eyes. ‘Ur gunna gimme all the details’ was exactly what she was thinking, knowing my friend. I rolled my eyes before turning to Kamal when Lynn went.

“Why is everyone like that to you? I mean, that girl in the park. The window. Now this. Is there something wrong?” he asked me. Why was everyone always asking the question which they never cared about?My anger grew a bit. I was a person with a short temper, which was one of my weaknesses.

“And why should I tell you? I mean I don’t know you” I said, crossing my arms over my chest. I knew I was acting childish but I needed to let out my anger. He looked at me frozen for a second before he nodded a bit and looked away.

“True. So damn true. You don’t know me, okay, I get that part. You shouldn’t tell me that people are threatening you and trying to take your child from you, like in the park yesterday. I mean, why should you tell people that? No one would ever help, right?” He half-yelled back before nodding again.

“It was nice meeting Karim” he said and turned around, walking away. I felt a pang in my chest and it did really hurt. I didn’t know why, but I felt alone at that moment. I have no one, other than Karim. I have no one who would help me. No one. All alone. I felt like I had something in my throat cause I was holding myself from crying. I wanted to apologize. He only helped me. He deserved an explanation. I took a step forward to reach to him, but I stopped. He said that it was nice meeting Karim, not me. So he didn’t really.. I shook my head to clear it. He only helped me for Karim. That’s it.

Two weeks. The same two weeks. I rolled over to my side and grabbed Karim and put him next to me. He was already walking so he always wanted to walk around the house when he wok up.

“Karim, mommy needs to sleep..” I said, more to myself. It reminded me of the first weeks when Karim was born. He was always crying at nights and it made me always tired the next day. I thought of Kamal. I thought of Kamal since the day he said goodbye. I felt guilty, I really did. I sighed out loud before I placed Karim in his bed. I needed to buy a bigger one for him, cause this one was really small now. I made my way to the bathroom before praying.

 ~

Two weeks. Two weeks and I still see her everyday without saying anything. Every time she saw me she just turned around and took another route. I didn’t like this feeling. Like, right now. She is standing in front of the coffee machine, trying to get some coffee, which she does a lot. She placed her palm on her forehead, which she did a lot when she was frustrated. I knew I wasn’t allowed to look and watch her so closely but I couldn’t help it. It was like when Manar was in the picture, I had all my concentration on her. But I stopped questioning myself cause I couldn’t answer them. She finally got her coffee and turned to her left. I sighed. To go to her class, she needed to pass me, but she chose the other way cause she saw me. I jumped out of my thoughts when I saw her dropping her coffee, concentrated on something. I immediately stood up and went over to her. She was looking at a guy who was smirking at her. The guy looked at me for a second and I shot him a glare. I didn’t like him already. Something inside me was telling me that he was hurting her. Manar turned to me but then turned back to the guy.

“It's time to take my kid, Manar” he said, causing Manar to take a step back..

______________________________

Salaam people. Sorry for the late update. People from 'you, my punishment' will know that I always updated a few times a week but I can't do the same with this story. I am in my last semester now from school so I am constantly studying. Also did I start working a few days a week. And my health isn't really letting me do anything anymore so you just have to be patient. I am really sorry but I can only do this much. I hope you understand. Next chapter a new Islam is my Life episode.