Into the Lion's Den

A/N: In this I use some of the lines from when Royale and Laing meet. Just a precaution, but I don't own that. I will say this a lot but I don't want to get in trouble. All rights to the legal owners. Enjoy.

"The architect wants to see me." Robert said as I sat up. It had been almost a week after the party, almost a week since Monroe's suicide. I still can't get that picture of him out of my head without a stiff drink, however Robert owns no alcohol strong enough anymore after I downed his bottle of whiskey.

I look up at him and he tugs on his blazer, "why?" I ask both curious and worried.

"I don't know. I was pulled aside by one of his monkeys on the way out yesterday. He had the decency to threaten you while asking me to meet Royale," he replies sarcastically.

I sigh and watch Robert come to me holding my cheek and kissing me softly, "when will you be back?" I ask.

"I don't know, but I won't be long." He walks to the door and I nod sadly.

"I'll see you later my love," Robert smiles before leaving me in his flat.

Robert's POV

I walk up to the elevator and press up, waiting for the doors to open. The only thing on my mind was Christine. How perfect she is in every way. So innocent but stuck in this high rise. I know something's up with this place and all I have to do is keep her safe.

Keep her safe.

The doors open and I press the button for the 30th floor. For some reason that's as high as you can go with this lift. I watched the floor number increase and my mind travels to Chrissie again, thinking about what I've done to her.

Soon enough the doors opened and two of Royale's dogs are there to greet me.

"Gentlemen," I say and give a small chuckle as their faces don't change. They viciously grab my arms, dragging me off to the posher mirror elevator only used for the last 10 floors, going down all the way to the ground floor. They throw me into the lift and my back hits the wall. I stare at the two man as they enter too, and one of them press the button for the top.

I walk in between the dicks, fixing my suit when they push me into the garden that was built. I walk through the garden seeing a goat and a horse, along with a redhead who I presume was Mrs Royale.

"Excuse me," I stutter, maintaining my gentlemanly manner, while sending her a short wave. She shouts from on top of the horse as I walk over to her.

"Who are you, what the hell do you want?"

"My name's Laing. I'm here to see Mr Royale," I answer, still politely.

"He's in there." She points to an old looking shed. I give her a puzzled look, but she rudely tells me to fuck off... so I do.

I knock on the open door and walk in to see a hospital like room. Everything white, including Royale's clothes.

"Robert Laing?" He asks, not looking up from the desk.

"Yes."

"I've heard a lot about you... and your girlfriend," his sly posh accent grinds my gears. He continues, "don't worry Laing. I won't hurt her. You know Steele tried to plead his case after what you did to him. It was like a comedy show."

I walk over to the desk where Royale was sat and watched as he worked on the paper.

"Haven't anything to say Laing?" Royale asked, but I just stayed quiet, forcing him to change the subject. "What do you think of this place?"

"Impressive," I answer with no emotion, "you built all of this correct?"

"Yes- well I dreamt, conceived I hardly rolled my sleeves up. I'm it's midwife so to speak. However," he sighs, "the product is far from finished. There will be five of them built circling the lake. Like a hand; the lake being the palm and wet stand on the distal phalanx of the index finger." He turns back to the paper as I walk around to him, "there."

"So there'll be more..." I mumble, to myself mainly.

"Well yes. Do you have any idea why I wanted to speak with you Laing?" Royale asks and I shake my head. "I'm interested by you... you have something. A part of you that fascinates me, and I want to know more about you. Like I said I heard about you, you don't look like the kind of man who would leave another barely able to walk." Royale smirks as he sees my discomfort.

"I did it to protect my girlfriend."

"Who you left after your sister's death," he immediately cut in, "now she lives with you in your apartment, going back to her flat every time you're at work."

"I don't see it important to talk about my relationship with someone who has no need to understand," I retort fiercely.

"Calm Laing. I see you love her, and I see you wish to protect her, you are a good and lucky man."

"Thank you, sir," I reply.

"Anthony. And I heard you play squash."

We talked more and he told me about an accident he had. Saying he was the first resident and the first casualty of his own design. He asked me to play Squash with him next Friday which I agreed to.

I got back home after another mauling by the dogs but was met by silence when I called to Christine.

She's in her flat you idiot.

I walked over to her flat to knock on the door. I stopped short when I saw the door partially open and the rug upturned. I run in and search the entire place screaming her name.

"CHRISTINNNEEEE!!!" I scream as I walk back through her apartment to her front room.

Keep her safe...