Memory

The first of the five high rises was up and welcoming visitors. I had decided to put an investment in the future because a previous lover and I had broken up and it really affected me because we had spent 5 years together, but after his sister died, he left. I don't know where he moved to, but after the abrupt end to our relationship, I never wanted to talk to him again.

The building was magnificent, and I had purchased a room on the 25th floor, 2508 to be precise. I noticed some people moving into their homes, and recognised a face moving into room 2505. it looked like him, why would he be here? He seemed to notice me, but that was the last time we ever saw each other, for a couple months.

----flashback----

"Come on darling open it up already, your keeping me waiting."

"Will you give me a second to get past your terrible wrapping Robert." I laughed.

I got through the sparkly Christmas paper to a small, rectangular, black box. Too big to be a ring, much too small to be a novelty joke item, Robert usually ended up giving me. I opened the box to a necklace, a beautiful silver chain and green jewel hanging off it.

 I opened the box to a necklace, a beautiful silver chain and green jewel hanging off it

"Oh Robert, it's beautiful darling. I love it, thank you."

"Merry Christmas my love."

----end of flashback----

I love thinking about the moments that Robert and I had together. 5 years is a long time for a relationship like ours. We were so perfect for each other. But after his sister died, he just lost control. I tried to support him but once we attended her funeral, he slipped away, and I woke up one morning with a note by my bed explaining that he left.

I was devastated and could hardly cope with everything. I needed to remove himself from my life, so I moved to the new-fangled high rise. It had only been a few months, but I already felt like things were getting better.

--------

I let out a yell as you sprung up. I had tears streaming down my face after remembering my first Christmas with Robert. I still wear that necklace from time to time, hoping that he will come back on day It was 6:30 in the morning and I could hear the ramblings of a party that had gone through the night and into the early hours. I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep, so I made my way into the kitchen to make breakfast.

I opened my fridge, but the power must have gone down because the light didn't turn on like it would normally do.

Shit.

My milk had gone off in, and so did most of the things in my fridge. I hate going outside when there are the lower people out partying. Not being rude, but the fights that have broken out between the upper and lower floors have been very scary. I was even attacked myself at one point, but if I was ever going to get my groceries, it should probably be now. Before everything goes again.