28

MIKE

"Cross slowly," Donna said from the back seat. "There's a checkpoint up here. Pull up to the barricade and I'll talk to them." Almost as an afterthought, she added, "Whatever you do, don't get out of the car."

Mike eased up on the gas. Were it not for their passenger, he probably would have stopped on the Malden Bridge and turned back already. The sight of a roadblock on the northern end of the span was disconcerting enough. The electricity crackling from the metal grates in the bridge's surface was worse.

Donna was right to warn them to stay put inside the vehicle. Anyone trying to cross the bridge on foot would only end up learning what it feels like to be a T-bone grilling on the barbecue.

They drove past an inanimate zombie splayed over the concrete center divider. The blackened corpse was still smoking from the voltage. It wasn't a stretch to imagine the electrified bascule bridge stopping waves of zombies in their tracks. Combined with the river surrounding the area on three sides and the chain link fencing around their perimeter, Mike had to hand it to Donna's people. They couldn't have picked a more fortified position if they tried.

"That is one effective countermeasure," Sergeant Roy admitted, staring out the window from his spot next to their injured passenger.

She nodded. "One of the perks of taking over a power station."

Mike stared out at the smoke belching into the sky from the Mystic Generating Station. "What's fueling the plant? Coal? Natural gas?"

Donna smiled out the window. "You'll see."

"Mike..." Sergeant Crispin directed his attention out his passenger side window. Numerous boats were either docking at a harbor near the facility, or heading upriver with their hulls sunk low on the waterline.

Judging by the difference in weight between their comings and goings, Mike guessed they were ferrying supplies elsewhere. He would've asked Donna about it, but doubted she'd give him a straight answer about anything until they settled the matter of their status in the group.

Electricity hummed and sparked under their wheels. Though the rubber kept them insulated from the booby-trapped roadway, Mike held his breath anyway, until they crossed over the metal and hit pavement again on the north side. His relief was short-lived.

A guard at the checkpoint held up his hand over a lowered boom barrier. The divider, formerly used to stop traffic while they raised the bridge, now prevented anyone from crossing over the river into the Everett district. A fire engine spanned the road behind him, providing cover for an armed militia standing ready to fill their car with bullets at the slightest provocation. A run-down, brick structure blocked their view of the power plant to their right. Armed snipers targeted their car from its five dormer windows.

"These guys are serious about their security," Sergeant Crispin muttered from the passenger seat.

"Let me talk to them," Donna said. She rolled her window down and stuck her head out. "Hey, Tom. You guys miss me?"

The gate guard lowered his hand, but didn't remove the other one from the gun holstered at his side. "Donna? What happened? You and Jake were supposed to report back yesterday."

"Long story. We ran into trouble with some of the locals. I was shot. Jake... He didn't make it." She paused, exhaled, and forced herself to go on. "These guys helped me. I promised them I'd talk to Rupert on their behalf about letting them join up. I'm guessing he's in the control room?"

The guard stepped off to the side of the bridge and waved to the driver of the pumper to clear the road. "Where else would he be?" he replied. "Sorry to hear about Jake. I know you two were close."