17

PAIGE

PAIGE

Paige sat next to Patty and watched the others dispose of their friends. In the space of a single morning, they had lost nearly half their group. The glum survivors toiled without speaking or even looking at one another. They lugged bloody shapes covered in sheets to the edge of the boat and tossed them into the Charles with the tireless perseverance of automatons.

She stole glances at her mute companion, checking her for signs of life. Patty stared at her feet. The closest she came to moving was to flinch every time a body splashed in the drink.

Paige wished she knew how to help her new friend work through her grief. Loss had defined everyone around them, yet it never seemed to get any easier.

"I'm sorry about your brother," she muttered. It was all she could think to say. Words had lost all meaning in the face of such a tragedy.

Patty exhaled through trembling lips, but didn't respond. Paige turned her attention back to the men depositing the last of their companions in the river.

"I lost my brother too," she continued. "My dad, he got bit. The news kept saying to avoid hospitals, so we tried caring for him at home. He attacked my mom, and then killed Jeremy when he tried to save her."

She looked at Patty again. The older girl stared back at her with eyes stained red from tears. Paige reached over and took her by the hand.

"We were close too, like you and Mitchell. He got me hooked on drones and electronics, and I taught him how to ride a skateboard." A ghost of a smile touched her face at the memory. "He was getting pretty good at it too. Almost as good as me."

"Mitch..." Patty's voice was hoarse. "He was my only real family. My dad left... and my mother..." Her brows lowered as she struggled to express herself. "Mitch was all I had. He never judged me, not once. I should've... I'm sorry I didn't tell him the truth. I think he would've understood."

Paige shook her head, not following her meaning. "Understood what?"

Patty fell silent, long enough to leave Paige wondering if she intended to say anything more. Finally, she confessed, "I killed our mother."

"I'm sure he'd understand. We've all had to do things—"

"No," Patty snapped. "Not like that. I mean I killed her when she was still alive."

Paige blinked at her, speechless, unable to hide the shock from her face.

Patty looked away, returning her gaze to the floor. She released a trembling breath. "She was an alcoholic and a control freak. After my dad left, she tried to mold me into a carbon copy of herself. She forced me into cheerleading. Punished me whenever my grades dropped. Forbade me from seeing anyone who didn't fit into her snobby clique. There was no part of my life that wasn't under her thumb."