Father

Two days befor the full mood. The pack house was quite. There was none of the usual charm and excitement that this pack always seemed to have. Half the pack was gone, hopefully just temporarily but that alone made such a difference. Uncontrollable butterflies took up permanent residence in my stomach at this point. I tried to eat, I tried to sleep with no success. I could feel James's worry as well and that just added to my already shot nerves.

"Were going to make it." He tried to comfort me. But since it sounded more like he was trying to convince himself it brought no comfort.

It was the day before the full moon, tomorrow night we would have to defend our land, defend out pack, and defend me. James and I were in his office finalizing plans. Him betas and head warrior going over strategies with us. James was reminding them that Michel was the number one target. We talked about different plants to draw him out to complete the task when suddenly the door flew open. Two of our scouts were restraining a young boy. The boy couldn't have been but 20 at the most. They threw him on the ground at our feet.

"What's this?" James growled.

"He says he's a messenger, Alpha James." Answered one of the scouts bowing his head low in respect.

"A messenger you say?" James looking deadly, almost sadistic walked around the boy. "How old are you son?"

The boy glared at James with hate heavy in his eyes. "I have a message from my alpha. He..."

James kicked him square in the ribs  hard, cutting him off mid sentence. I heard the crack of rids from my spot across the room. "I asked a question, I expect an answer."

The boy coughed up blood and sat back up. "19."

James laughed a villains laugh and squatted in front of the boy. "What's your rank?"

"Omega."

James pondered this for a while before responding. Standing back up and walking in circles around him again. "You're old enough to have met your mate? Am I right?" The boys face went white with fear James did not miss this reaction. "So you have met her!" On good for you son." He clapped him on the back and the boy groaned in pain. "What do you say we see your mark?"

Silence

James nodded to the two men who brought the boy in. Both taking an arm they pulled him up off the ground and onto his feet. Another painful groan escaped the boys mouth. James now stood in front of the boy and with two hands ripped his shirt right down the middle. We saw the crescent-shaped mark there on his left bicep. James examined it for a moment befor speaking again. "It looks new. I would wager a guess and say a week old? Maybe less? You just found her. Tell me son how dose she feel knowing she will never see you again?"

"She's accepted my fate." The boy was trying to act strong but we all saw though his attempts.

James smiled maliciously. "And has she accepted hers?"

The boy responded with a growl and James slashed at his face with his clawed hand. Three long deep gashes appeared on the boy's face blood was running down dripping off his chin. "Tell me Claire." James spoke. I jumped this was the first time anyone even so much as looked at me since they arrived with the boy. "What did I teach you about mates and marks? Remind me my love, what happends when one of a mated pair is hurt?"

I swallowed hard. "Th... the other feels the pain as their own."

"So tell me boy, how much do you care about your mate?" James was inches from his face and spoke threateningly soft.

The boy gulped and dropped his head. "I submit to you Alpha."

James smiled a triumphant grin. "Wonderful! Okay now is the time for your message please boy."