Chapter 9.5

Why am I in the forest? I was just in my bed, trying my hardest not to get clingy with Slenda. Was I sleepwalking?

It's so dark and foggy. Not to mention cold. Cold enough that I could see my breath. The fog was thick. The flashlight I had clenched between my frozen fingers could barely cut through the fog.

The forest was still bustling with life. The sounds of crickets echoed through the air as the leaves crunched beneath my feet with every footstep. Even with that, everything seems dead, the trees hinting at it too. All the leaves are their dying golden browns and yellows. As some trees look dead and bare from the lack of leaves. It's only October. Even yesterday, most of the leaves were beautiful and green. There is no way almost every tree would be without leaves already.

I'm trying to find some sort of landmark to help me get back to the Mansion.

Oh God, Slenda is going to be so angry when she finds out that I was out during the night. I just hope she'll understand that I don't remember leaving the house. The last thing I remember was lying in my bed next to her. I didn't even know I sleepwalked. Or maybe it's my first time doing it, and I got unlucky. But even still, I think I would wake up while getting dressed. I'm a very light sleeper. I wake up from the slightest temperature change and blanket movement. Let alone clothing sliding across my skin or a change in the lighting around me.

Wait, why is there a piece of paper nailed to a large tree? The tree stood out from the rest. It was way thicker and towered above most. The branches started out thick, thinning towards the end, where they split off into sticks. The tree was creepy, the air seeming to get colder around it. The branches reminded me of many thick tentacles.

I walked to the tree and observed the paper. It was a drawing of Slenda with the words "No" scribbled all over the paper. I had a very uncomfortable feeling, and it clearly came from the piece of paper. Curious, I gently touched the paper, causing it to rip away from the nail. This caused a chain reaction as the forest went dead silent, and the once uncomfortable feeling I once had turned into fear. My heart slammed against my ribcage, beating hard and fast as fear-induced adrenaline pumped through my body. I felt a headache emerge as the sounds of quiet murmuring echoed inside my head. The feeling of being watched invaded my senses. "Move" was the only logical thing I could think of.

I walked away from the tree, walking the path. I'm hoping that the path will lead me to something I can recognize so I can get back to the mansion. Maybe Slenda can explain what these papers are. I kept my head on a swivel, hoping to find the thing that was watching me. I noticed a wooden fence. This also had one of those pieces of paper on it. I'll grab that one too. I walked over to the fence post and grabbed the paper, it just ripped from the nail without me having to pull at all. I observed the paper. "HELP ME!!!" Was written in big letters across the paper. A curious hum escaped me as I folded the paper and put it in my pocket with the other one. The mumbling was now a little louder as my headache grew slightly. I noticed another note nailed to a tree about ten feet away. I walked over to it and did the same thing as the last one. This time the picture was Slenda drawn with trees. It was hard to notice her as she was drawn a lot like a tree.

The once feeling of being watched turned into a volatile feeling of anger and hatred. A chill ran down my spine as I felt as if I was being stalked. From the corner of my eye, I saw movement. I quickly looked over and saw Slenda. Yeah, she's not happy. She stood taller than normal, about 13 feet compared to her normal 8-9 foot posture. Her tentacles were out and twitched like a lion's tail when hunting. For some reason, when I looked at her, my headache worsened by the second, as well as my vision would distort slightly.

"Slenda?" I called out.

All I got in response was for her to teleport closer. I heard screaming inside my head as my headache worsened, causing me almost to pass out. This isn't the Slenda I know. I turned around and began to sprint away. Continuing down the path.

What is wrong with her? Why is she so angry right now? Is it because of the pages? Why would something that triggers her anger be pinned to trees in the forest? Someone is going to pick them up out of curiosity. Exactly like I did.

As I ran through the forest, I spotted another page. Maybe if I pick them all up, she'll calm down. I just need to find them all. I ran over to the random brick wall and grabbed the page, not taking any time to stop and catch my breath. She is right behind me, I can feel it. I sped up my pace as I ran down the path. I would cut into the trees, but I'm still hoping that if I find the mansion, she'll forgive me as long as I explain everything I did and why I did it and how sorry I am before I promise never ever to let it happen again.

I felt something wrap around my leg, causing me to trip. I didn't even have time to react before I hit the ground with a loud thud. I felt dazed as my headache increased tenfold. Everything swirled around me, and I felt like I was about to throw up. My body felt weak, but I have to keep moving. I tried to get to my feet, causing my dizziness to increase. My body swayed as I got to my feet.

I felt a demonic presence looming behind me once I stood up. Already knowing what it was, I started my speech.

"Slenda, I know you said to never go outside at night, but I don't remember how I got out here." I started as I began to turn around. I tried not to sound afraid, but I failed horribly.

Once I was turned around, I noticed how angry she really was. She was towering over me, being two times taller than me. She had 16 tentacles compared to her typical 13, and everyone was fidgeting with every movement. I bowed my head and continued,

"I think I was sleepwalking because I wouldn't go out at night anyway. I wouldn't want to break the only rule I have. That wouldn't be fair to you. I'm sorry." I apologized.

Just as I thought she was calming down, using one of her tentacles, she wrapped around my waist and pulled me to her height, forcing me to look at her face. My headache increased to the point I couldn't think straight. It felt like it was about to implode. Like there were thousands of pascals inside of my head, crushing my brain. My dizzy vision only adds to that. The screaming inside of my head got louder as I could hear the drumming of my heartbeat.

I notice her raise one of her tentacles and point it at my face. I noticed the blood that dripped from the tip of the tentacle. So, I guess this is why everyone says not to make Slenda angry. She gets like this. I knew all the good wouldn't last long. Nothing good in my life ever does.

I closed my eyes as I awaited death. Hey, at least it's not my parents doing it. And this time I guess I can say it is my fault. I'm the one who went outside at night, even if I didn't mean to. And I also picked up something I had no right in doing. Even if it's stupid. She has something to trigger her anger just lying around out in the open.

It really just sucks that it's someone I was really starting to trust. I wish I could think of some sort of goodbye. But my mind is so clouded and distorted that I can't think clearly. I took a deep breath and began to wait for my impending doom.

Just as she was about to plunge her tentacle into my face, I felt everything turn bright. The once feeling of fear I had turned to pure bliss. My headache disappeared, and everything became clear.

I opened my eyes and noticed Slenda back to normal. She was no longer angry. Not to mention the once dark and foggy forest was bright and back to life. We were by the waterfall as we embraced each other.

"Y/n, is everything alright?" Slenda asked me in a worried tone.

I thought for a second. What the hell just happened?

"Yeah, I'm alright." I answered.

She tightened the hug, pulling me closer to her.

I'm definitely in a dream. There is no way I went from Slenda trying to kill me in the night to Slenda hugging me in the day at one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in a matter of milliseconds. I wish this part weren't a dream. This embrace makes me feel so warm, happy, and protected. Slenda is such a great hugger. I wish that maybe one day I could maybe have a hug like this outside of a dream.

That would be really awesome. Possibly one of the best things a guy like me could wish for.