Chapter 12: The Girl is in the Grey

TW: Domestic Abuse
Rainy day weather in Seattle was always a bit of a understatement. When it rains it pours and when it pours you can barely see outside your window. Daphne was the lucky winner of the " go get groceries from the store in the downpour" contest so she had to face that rain. This was the first time in a long time she couldn't call Jean to get rid of something. The drive however was only 20 minutes and all she needed were eggs, flower, and baking soda. Jean plopped herself in passenger side and they were off. Daphne's mother had a 2009 Lexus GS in silver and this had become the place where Daphne had a lot of first. First spilled milk in a car, first trophy placement after a soccer tournament among others.

     The Streets of Seattle were pretty desolate today but you could still find crossing guards directing kids from school in this weather. Daphne harkened back to her adventures walking home as a kid, with every specter undoing her ponytail out of nowhere or throwing a rock at her. Daphne considered herself a good driver but she was without a doubt a terrible parker. It was to the point she only chose the wide open spots in fear of hitting a random car. So she took a extra 5 minutes around the supermarket to find adequate parking. Luckily she found it and Jean found her new favorite spot inside Daphne's jacket to sneak into as they entered the store.

Getting into the supermarket was easy but getting what she wanted was hard. It was no secret that Daphne had a killer sweet tooth and a supermarket without her mother was a wonderland. She stared at the Twix by the register until jean pecked her side to keep her moving. She went and grabbed the eggs, picked up oranges just because and kept it moving. The Baking Soda had went up another dollar so that meant her mother owed her another dollar as Daphne picked it up and went to the flour section. Daphne's mother wanted the industrial bags of flour so Daphne had to put the bag over her shoulder just to get it in the cart. She strolled the cart towards the self checkout and left in a breeze. Jean flew out into the air but immediately flew back to Daphne, screaming " Jaguar Paw Jaguar Paw". Daphne jumped back as she noticed the paw prints all around her car, almost like a marking of territory. Jean flew around the car almost acting like a spirit form of sage as Daphne got in her car and drove home.

     Daphne parked in the garage and packed the stuff into the house. She went back out to grab her jacket when Juliette appeared on the hood, sweating and slightly panicking. Daphne tried telling her about the Jaguar paws but was drowned out by her insistence of moving fast. Juliette grabbed her hand and barely got out " the 5th elder spirit has summoned you". Daphne didn't get the nerves Juliette had this would probably be another case to solve but she understood after Juliette said " you don't get it... he's calling for us and he hasn't called for anyone in decades". She attempted to ask if her father had any info on the Jaguar paws but a simple snap of Juliette's fingers sent them off.

     Daphne had gotten good at landing on her feet since being appointed the Ghostwatcher and it helped when she landed on a cold hard mirror. Juliette landed right beside her and fell with a thud, groaning at the cold landscape ahead of them. There wasn't really a traditional road in sight as far as Daphne could see, everything was either glass or a mirror. She couldn't see buildings either they seemed to be replaced by the larger mirrors in the sky. The glass on the floor was reflective as well but showed everything upside down which Daphne soon learned was of no help. She began to walk forward as the glass stayed stable and specters flew in and out of the various mirrors above. She could even make out some specters running along the edges of mirrors almost like a parkour act. Jean flew to a sign stuck in the glass that read " Each mirror is a different path". Daphne poked the mirror in front of her and watched her hand go straight through and back out. Juliette groaned again and banged on the mirror which only showed herself. She explained to Daphne that this world was designed to keep everyone out who should be out. They looked around at the assortment of mirrors as a mirror appeared in front of them, glistening gold and ruby. Daphne stared at Juliette for confirmation before stepping into the mirror with her raven and best friend right beside her.