"Cam, go with her," Christina supplied while tying Maria's wrists behind her back with a spare rope. My heart squelched at how she was being treated like an animal. But I knew that right now, that was the only way to stop her.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Cameron standing up.

"It's okay. I can go. I don't need babysitting," I said dismissively.

"But what if Taylor's awake?" Cameron asked.

My eyes widened.

"You just killed her," I replied, giving him an appalled look.

His eyes widened momentarily as he returned my look.

"I didn't kill her Krystal. Vampires can't be killed until they are decapitated or daggered by the magical stake," he said, his gaze momentarily flitting back to Maria as if to check whether she was under control.

"She should be awake within a few minutes," he added and then looked at me, "which is why I need to go with you. She won't hurt you. But she may pull something crazy on you."

He proceeded to step outside the garage when I placed my palm on his shoulder.

"It's okay. She might be crazy but not stupid. She won't play with a ticking time bomb," I shrugged, even though dread coiled within me.

Cameron was about to protest, but I halted him again.

"Trust me. I've got this. Besides, you need to be here more," I said while tilting my eyes towards the heap of bodies, darkness shrouding my heart.

"Alright. But just shout if something happens okay?" he asked while squeezing my palm that was still rested on his right shoulder.

I nodded my head at him and slid my gaze over Maria a final time, before leaving the suffocating room.

The coldness and darkness outside immediately enveloped me like a thick cloud as I made my way through the field. My whole body felt cold and my heart was still beating unsteadily. My mind was a hazy mess and my emotions were a tumult, that I didn't how to tame.

Faint chirpings of the cricket and my ragged breaths were the only sound accompanying my journey in the gloomy night. I squinted my eyes to walk properly in the inky darkness, trying not to fall. The grass-blades tickled the bare skin of my ankle, as I trod through the ground.

Suddenly, my feet bumped against something hard and I was hurled down to the floor, my ankle getting twisted in the process. I bit my lip to prevent the scream from escaping, as a tremendous pain shot through my leg. Resting my forearms on the dusty ground, I pulled myself upwards, the movement causing my ankle to sting.

Right then, a piece of loud music soared at the silence of the night and I nearly jumped out of my skin, before realizing that it was the ringtone of my phone.

Sighing I pulled the device out of the side pocket of my jeans, dust getting a little splayed on the screen. I felt a twinge of relief on seeing the name flashing on the screen.

Asshole.

Even though Carter was an ass, but right now considering everything, I would rather be with him, than a second in here. It was like choosing between the worse and the worst. And I hoped that Carter was the worse.

I slid my thumb across the screen to accept the call.

"Hey," I mumbled while trying to move – the pain wracking through my leg again.

"Where are you?" he asked, his voice booming through the speaker of my phone and I had to pull it away from my ears a bit.

"I am in the backyard. And what's with the shouting?" I scowled even though he couldn't see me.