34. Hey, will you last with me?

Start from the beginning

I'd expected him to grin back and agree with me. But instead, I watched as a sad frown made its way to his face. He looked down as the daisy spoke.

"I'm not going to Ilaria, Nora."

I blinked at him. For a moment, I thought I'd heard wrong.

"What's that?" I asked him, feeling ridiculous. A sort of anxiety was already setting in. If it was a joke, I didn't like it.

Risor bit his lip and looked up at me with sad furrowed brows.

"I can't go back yet."

What nonsense.

"Is it because you need permission? Of course I'll convince my dad. The marquess will take you back so why are you worrying about that?" I forced a smile, thinking it was a silly concern. But something told me that wasn't it.

Risor still didn't smile back at me. Instead, he sighed softly.

"It's not that. I can't go back to Ilaria yet. I need to stay here."

What the fuck are you talking about? I had to stop myself from blurting out these words.

"No, what are you saying, Risor? Why can't you come back? I'm telling you everything is alright, and we can go to Ilaria together and... and your mother is there too. What are you saying?"

I'm going into a new world, again. I can't do it without you. You supported me when I arrived here. How am I supposed to go anywhere without you?

Not to mention... I am completely straying from the book, and it hasn't even begun yet. I don't know what the consequences will be and I need my support. I need Risor.

Risor closed his eyes and shook his head. "I can't leave the capital yet. I need to stay. There's a reason for this."

"But why?!" My voice was inching higher, and louder. I couldn't comprehend this at all. "Why can't you come with me?!"

Risor didn't reply anymore. He pressed his lips together and watched me sadly, having said all that he needed to.

A breath of disbelief left my lips. "Are you joking with me right now? It's not very funny. I know I play with you all the time but this isn't funny."

He didn't say anything, but a crease was visible between his eyebrows. He looked pained.

"You're serious? You're saying you want to stay here? Here in this rotting house? Are you for real?"

Silence.

"But why?" Why the fuck? "Why can't you tell me?"

Risor averted his eyes and now stared at the ground, blocking me out. He really wasn't going to tell me. I couldn't understand this at all. The least he could do is tell me why.

"Risor, didn't you promise me you'd protect me? Is this how you'll do it? How will you protect me from here? How will I protect you?"

I was playing dirty. I didn't care. How could I leave him here, for any reason at all? How could I let him leave my side like this?

Risor looked genuinely pained. He timidly shook his head and looked down.

"Not yet. I need to stay here. Please understand."

I furrowed my brows tightly, unable to hold back my glare, my irritation and my confusion. What is it? What is his weakness? What can I tell him so that'd he'd come with me no matter what? Maybe I can guilt him. But how?

"What am I supposed to understand? You're not even telling me! We could just go back together, your mother is also there so what's the problem?!" I prodded him, feeling really uncomfortable all of a sudden. Like I wasn't getting through to him. Ah, yeah. Frustrated. I was feeling frustrated.