Part 14 "The night before"

We said our goodbye, ah, the night before
Love was in your eyes, ah, the night before
Now today I find you have changed your mind
Treat me like you did the night before

________

I threw on a big sweater before walking out to my first class.
There was no sight of Olivia, the only evidence of her rather wild night was the messed up bed and the two cups of coffee left in the nightstand.
She had gotten out of bed before me, surprisingly, probably in seek of some painkillers and breakfast.
Before walking into my classroom I noticed Damon and Justine talking by the end of the hallway. My heart raced remembering the events from the night before. I pretended that I hadn't seen them but Justine called my name before I could escape.
"Morning" I managed to say walking towards them. Damon smiled while Justine looked rather annoyed.
"Damon just canceled our practice!" She protested crossing her arms.
"It's just for today" Damon said. "I swear"
Justine rolled her eyes at his words.
"You know we've still got a week and a half, we can meet up in the weekend" I jumped in trying to save Damon. Justine grunted before finally giving in.
"Fine" she said.
"You tell Olivia" she pointed at me. I simply nodded as she turned into her feet and walked away.
"She's quite invested into this competition" I said hiding my hands in the pocket of my jacket.
"She's just competitive I suppose" Damon said before yawning.
"Tired?" I asked bringing up my hand to his face getting a better look at his droppy eyelids.
"Just a little" he laughed, touching my hand slightly.
"Olivia will surely appreciate a day off as well" I remembered how she was the one getting the heaviest work done with her vocals.
"That's for sure" Damon smiled before looking away. I decided to cut off the silence by nodding and walking back to my class.
He didn't remember a thing, I thought to myself sliding my books into my bag and taking a seat in the front row. My eyes opened in surprise as Alex took a seat right behind me. I began writing down an assignment pretending I hadn't noticed him, until I felt a slight tap on my shoulder.
"Yes?" I asked turning my head facing him. His hair was slightly different, the dark hair was not covering his eyes anymore, it was pulled back. With a flirty smile he proceeded to ask me about the competition.
"What do you want to know?" I asked back knowing he and Graham must've been wondering.
"Oh you know" he started looking down at my lips. He already made me uncomfortable enough I wasn't going to let him win.
"It's going smoothly" I smiled before turning around and proceeding to ignore his awful questions.
I was done with Alex by the end of the lesson. I almost ran away when the bell rang, looking for Olivia. She was probably at the library.
"Oh thank God here you are" I said sitting down next to her. Her eyes were buried in her Fashion Theory book.
"Good morning" she whispered giving me a warm hug and a smile.
"Our practice is canceled" I announced giving a look into her book. It was bigger than both of her hands together and had a lot of bright colors and designs. Olivia had become extremely interested in the matter, to a point that she was considering moving to Paris after our graduation to become a designer.
"Thank Christ" She laughed. "I still got a mad headache" she continued to read into her book.
"I can get you something if you want" I said now taking out a small, in comparison, book.
"No, no, I'm alright" she whispered before closing her book now facing me.
"I don't know if it's a blurred memory or my imagination..." she began with a smile curling in her red stained lips.
"You kissed again didn't you"
I didn't say anything pretending to be paying close attention to my reading.
"You little rascal" she teased standing up. I looked up at her smiling.
"Just gonna go have a quick smoke" she said before kissing my head like a mother would do to her child.
I stayed there finishing up a couple of assignments. We were actually quite close to our graduation. Just a few months left and we were done.
After lunch I finished the couple of classes I had left and kept the evening to myself. And by that I meant doing more language assignments.
I was translating some words from German when I heard a knock on the door.
"Come in" I responded knowing it was either Oli or Damon. And I was right because Damon entered jumping into Olivia's bed.
"Did you had fun last night?" he asked moving Olivia's blanket to a side to reast his head on.
"I suppose" I admitted going back to my assignment.
I wasn't entirely sure why but my mind was getting tired of Damon pretending nothing had happened between us.
I slid my fingers through the pages of my book harshly enough to make him know I was busy. He raised his eyes in confusion giving me a stare. Silently he picked a book from Olivia's nightstand and proceed to read.
After a couple of minutes of silence Damon spoke up again.
"See you" he said before walking through the door.
"Wait Damon" I said stopping him.
I knew I had to be in charge of my emotions but Damon made it really hard.
"I'm about to finish this" I said finishing up the last paragraph.
He walked back in, now taking a seat on my desk.
"There's a chair in the corner y'know" I pointed to the small chair next to my record player. Damon chuckled at my protests. And stepped towards my collection of records. I went back to writing as Damon picked one and played it.
"Where's Olivia?" Damon asked as Help! played in the background.
"She's with Liam I think" I said quietly paying attention to the music.
I closed my books turning my head to Damon. His still tired eyes wondered around my room examinating every detail, as if he hadn't been here millions of times. In a split of a second our eyes met, before I looked down at my feet. I didn't have the courage to tell him how I felt.
It took me a few seconds to realize he had his eyes glued on me.
"What?" I laughed trying to break the tension and it worked because he smiled.
"It's nothing love" he said before walking towards me and pulling me into a hug. I closed my eyes at the embrace feeling his heart beating on my chest, it was comforting having him close. After a couple of minutes he broke the embrace planting a kiss on my forehead.
"I gotta go finish some work I have left" he said. I nodded before he walked to the door.
He left me thinking about how beautiful our friendship already was. Maybe he just saw me as a friend and I had to be okay with it.
Before I could dive deeper into my thoughts the sound of the phone ringing interrupted. I quickly picked up.
"Hello?" I asked fiddling my fingers through the phone's chord.
"Jenny?" a femenine voice said through the line, I recognized it immediately.
"Patricia?" I asked in commotion after not hearing my sisters voice in months.
"Patricia! Oh how I've missed you!" I cried to the phone.
"I've missed you too, my baby sister" Patricia said excitingly.
"What a surprise to get a call from you" I said. "Is there any specific reason for your call?" I asked knowing Patricia was a extremely busy woman. She worked a full time job as a journalist in New York City. She had no time to be calling back home, or me, for instance.
"Actually yes, there is" she spoke, I noticed how her once thick accent had now taken a slightly different tone.
"Tell me, what is it?"
"I spoke to mum this past week, she said you were going back home for a couple of weeks before finding a flat after you graduate..." she spoke as I stared at the vinyl spinning still.
"Yes that's right" I affirmed still not understanding what was that about.
"I told her, what if, if you wanted to of course" Patrice began rambling.
"Tell me"
"Maybe you'd want to come around" she finished taking me by surprise.
"You? You want me to visit you?" I asked. I had never been outside of the UK before.
"No Jenny" she spoke. "I want you to come live with me. If you want to of course"
I felt static listening to her words. I never thought she would invite me to come over. And never in a million years to go live with her.
"Do I have to give you an answer now? I asked feeling a little burst of excitement.
"Oh God no Jenny, think about it" she said calmly.
"Just call me in a week or two" she finished.

I had been thinking about it for the whole weekend. I told Olivia and she said I should take the opportunity, what did I have to lose? And I was really considering it. I could be independent, work and earn money for myself. I chose to not tell Damon or anyone else. The time was never appropriate and he was too busy with his own work.
We also had 6 days left to compete. Justine and Olivia had a couple of arguments during the practices. She was longing for the day to come where Justine wasn't the leader anymore.
"In less than a week I'll be free" Olivia sang sarcastically as we walked through the hallways pasting flyers, just like Graham once did.
"I didn't want to do this" I pointed to the box filled with cheap paper and our band logo that Olivia drew.
It wasn't our idea, Justine made us do the dirty work of going around giving flyers to the other students and pasting as many as we could on the wall.
"This is just hurting my eyesight" a voice from behind us laughed.
"Fuck off Graham" I said before showing him my middle finger. He rolled his eyes and whispered something to Oliva before walking away.
"What'd he say?"
"He said I did a great job with the flyers but he likes to piss you off" Olivia said pasting the last one before we moved to the next wall.
"Of course he did" I said.
Olivia laughed and we continued going for what seemed like 30 minutes.
By the end of the week the entire school was filled with different band names and propaganda. "Oasis", "Seymour", "La Tempête", "Pulp" and many others.
The show was about to start.