4

Levi was escaping at his top speed. He could hear faint calls for him, gradually becoming softer with the growing distance. 

"Levi?"

"Levi, come back!" 

"Levi, please?"

"Levi, come home."

"Levi!" 

"Levi, don't do it." 

"Levi, where are you going?" 

"Levi..." 

"Levi, I'll find you!" 

The captain sighed. He knew Erwin was the origin of the calls due to the overuse of his first name. Levi could never pinpoint his reason in doing so, although the captain did not complain. He would never admit it, but he secretly enjoyed the manor in which 'Levi' slid off Erwin's tongue. 

Maybe it was Erwin's possession kicking in. He would call Levi by his name at least once when the two were chatting. The commander would also call commands 'orders' unnecessarily, almost as if he found pleasure in having had 'tamed' Levi, who answered to no one exempt himself. He could tell that the man savored every second of it. 

It was almost as if Erwin was now calling for his lost pet to return home. "Levi, come home." and "Levi, stay!" proves this. 

Levi found a rush of crimson prickling at his cheeks, feeling as if his heart was detruding from his chest as well. 

"This feeling..." Levi mumbled softly, placing a hand flat on his heart. "I hate it." 

He shook his head and snapped back into the present, lacking the time to afford distractions. The Survey Corps was no place for him anymore, and knowing Erwin, he most likely had the entire regiment chasing after him.

Levi was previously planning on obtaining his horse to escape, however the stables were now far behind him now. The man had barley escaped Erwin's hold the last two times, and he wasn't about to risk a third.  

The captain, after an excruciatingly long hour, arrived at an abandoned building. Scanning the apartment, he found it was one story. Upon further inspection, he discovered a thick layer of dust lining the furnishing. Levi assumed that no one had inhabited the house for at least a month. 

"Disgusting." Levi scoffed, wiping his fingers clean of grime. 

Levi then rested on the floor, making sure to keep distance from the peephole in door. All the windows were blocked by large wooden strips, and so being discovered by a random passerby was highly unlikely. 

With hindsight, Levi knew not to directly depart back into HQ, deciding it was best to wait for when Erwin and his search squad arrived at the wall. Only then would Levi depart in the direction in which he came from, him then having the least chance of running into them. That would be the time when he was least likely to be caught. 

Levi needed to return, all in order to apply his 3DMG, which he had abandoned in the rush. He intended on ending as many Titans as he could within Wall Maria before eventually succumbing to the monsters. The story for the newspaper would go as following; 

"Levi Ackerman, sneaking out in the middle of the night, attempted to rid Wall Maria of monsters in rage! He inevitably failed, the Titans outnumbered and devoured Humanity's strongest!"

He did not want to be known as 'Levi Ackerman; that hero who killed himself'. The captain's death would be a noble one, at least for those who believed his fabrication. 

Levi sighed, resting his head in his hands. He recalled the events of an hour prior. He never wanted for Erwin to look at him in that way again.

~~~