31

Levi winced, bolting up from the chair in which he sat. He darted his head from left to right, searching for the foreign noise that had interrupted his sleep. Upon discovering that no one was in the room except himself, the captain let out an exhale in relief. 

Levi blinked once or twice before rubbing his eyelids, removing whatever dirt had accumulated during the night. He stretched silently, consecutive cracks echoing throughout the atmosphere. 

"Where did they go?" Levi asked to no one in particular, now scanning the room for any sign of Lebasi or Nalraf. His attempts proved futile, since neither of the pair were anywhere to be seen.

As a matter of fact, none of their belongings were present in the office either. 

"Tsk." Levi complained groggily. 

Levi shrugged this off, not finding any valid reason to fret. He began his daily morning routine shortly after, setting his body on autopilot as always. This created room in Levi's mind to ponder the events of the day prior. 

Levi felt in the wrong for treating Erwin the way he had yesterday. Perhaps sleeping in a different room was taking things a tad too far? All the commander had done was beat Levi at a game, after all. Had he missed his presence over night? 

Levi sure knew he missed Erwin's. 

The captain sighed as he cleansed himself, not feeling refreshed by the cold liquid rinsing his complexion. An odd sensation of guilt and longing was clogging his pores, which could not be washed off with simple soap and water. 

Upon patting his face dry and, brushing both his teeth and hair, Levi deduced, that to pay his dues to Erwin, he would bestow a cup of coffee upon the commander. Although the captain had grown distaste for the caffeinated drink over the years, Erwin had certainly not. Besides, who wouldn't love a fresh steaming cup of coffee brought to you first thing in the morning? 

Levi then grinned silently, diligently walking past the entrance of the room whilst imagining Erwin's warm smile. He pondered his pleasant reaction to the gesture; perhaps a chuckle or smirk? If he was really lucky, maybe the commander would grant him a hug in return.

Suddenly, a random, yet crucial, question swam in his mind; what time was the correct one to confess? Mike had mentioned, and on multiple occasions, that there was a high likelihood of Erwin returning his feelings. On top of this, Mike's intuition was usually correct.

Now that Levi though of it, Erwin's affection twoards him was always little ways too deep to be platonic. The commander would constantly watch over and protect Levi, more than his position required too.

~~~

"You are not just some pawn to me, Levi." Erwin corrected, the anger in his tone dulling. "You need to understand that..."

~~~

What had Erwin meant by this statement?

~~~

"I hurt my arms in battle recently, so when you so kindly fucking grabbed and pushed them against the wall, they began to bleed." Levi scoffed after lying, glaring Eren.

"Really? I'm so sorry sir..." Eren apologized, staring directly into Levi's grey eyes. "I'll make sure to be more gentle next time."

"That's enough, Yeager." Erwin barked. He could no longer contain his speech, and much less his emotions.

~~~

Was Erwin jealous of Eren?

~~~

"I have set my eyes on... someone else." Erwin mumbled just loud enough for Levi to hear.