29

(--Author's note--)

[OKAY YEAH I MEANT TO POST THIS ONE.

 I accidentally posted chapter half of chapter 30 as I was working on it. I did not forget to post chapter 29; here it is. 

I'm sorry for all the confusion I may have caused aha... 

Take care of yourselves. Eat, drink, and sleep. Have a great day or night, and I hope you enjoy this part.]

///

Levi laid in desolation on Erwin's chair, facing the enormous window behind the commander's workspace. The afternoon sunlight was as warm as the smoke emitting from Levi's cigarette. The captain pressed the bud between his lips before exhaling a misty cloud of harmful chemicals. 

Levi rolled his eyes, knowing how disgusting and self-destructive this act was. Nevertheless, the burning sensation in his lungs was oddly pleasant, and addicting. Somehow, he had managed to convince himself minutes ago to use one of the cigars offered by a stranger. How he had done so, Levi could not say. 

"Levi." Erwin called, knocking softly on the door. "May I come in?" 

"This is your room." Levi informed, his own way of saying yes. 

A faint sigh was audible before Erwin creaked the entrance open. Seconds after, the commander partook in a loud coughing fit. Just when Levi was about to lift himself to help, Erwin regained his poise. 

"A fire, perhaps?" Erwin questioned with a palm clasped over his mouth and nose. "Levi, why does it smell like ash in here?" 

Levi sighed momentarily before rotating his chair to face Erwin; bracing himself for the immense scolding ahead of him. The captain would lie if he could, however the aroma of the room would discredit any falsification he spoke. 

"Really?" Erwin blinked as he walked twoards Levi. "What do you think you are doing?"

"Tsk." Levi responded. "Don't make a scene--" 

"Levi. That is not healthy for you in the slightest." Erwin frowned, attempting for the cigarette. 

"Oi. Quit that." Levi spat, maneuvering the item away from wherever Erwin reached. "You're going to burn yourself." 

"Ah--" Erwin winced, having grabbed the cigarette whole within his palm. 

"Why would you take it like that??" Levi spoke quickly, pulling Erwin's hand twoards him by the wrist. "It was still lit... your skin--" 

"It is alright." Erwin responded tightening his grip on the stick. The commander cut off the cigarette's oxygen supply and therefore extinguished the flame by doing this, ignoring the soreness in his palm. 

"You idiot." Levi insulted, rummaging through Erwin's cabinets for a first aid kit. "Why would you do that?"

"I cannot have you smoking, Levi." Erwin responded casually, almost as if his skin wasn't throbbing in pain. "It would be quite troublesome for me to have you become sick." 

"For you?" Levi repeated, applying an ointment to Erwin's palm. "Don't you mean me? Or humanity?" 

"No." Erwin assured. "I meant for myself." 

"Huh?" Levi twitched, wrapping a cloth bandage on Erwin's wound. 

"You cannot die before I do, Levi." Erwin informed, half-glaring into Levi's eyes. "I know it is selfish, but I need you." 

"Tsk..." Levi responded, not knowing what else to say. 

"Where did you purchase these?" Erwin questioned, turning to the rest of Levi's supply.