I really wished she didn't have to pay that price. It was a sad game. A game consisting of her against the world. But this time... she didn't have to play that game alone. She had me. She had Alex, she now had Alura. She had James, Winn, Maggie, Eliza, and so many more people.

She wasn't alone. That's what mattered. As long as I can find a way to get Kal back, then she'll be okay. And as long as I was there for her in the middle of the night to hold her and make her feel loved and warm, then she'll be okay. I hope.

Soon enough, the blonde was dressed in comfortable sweats and just a sports bra. I sat down on the bed, and she settled between my legs, her head resting on my chest comfortably. I pressed a kiss to the sleepy heroine's forehead, sending her to sleep.

I picked up a book that lay on the bedside table, not only after covering her with a blanket. It was 'A Walk to Remember'. A love story, ending with the tragic death of his lover. I hoped it never came to that for Kara.

If Kara died... I don't know how I could ever handle it. I might just follow after her. After all, I knew that I didn't want anyone else. Just Kara.

I hadn't ever loved anyone as I do Kara. After Lex and Lillian's trials, the betrayal I had been served to me and the lies. The lies. When I settled in National City, I had vowed to myself to never let anyone in. To never open up and to keep my heart closed off. 

But Kara ruined that. She broke down my walls slowly, day by day, and I had let her in. If I hadn't loved Kara, I wouldn't have ever let her in. 

If Kara died, I would be broken. I would break down again, excruciating day after day with the loss of Kara. I wondered how Lois was handling Kal-El's death.

Kara's chest rose and fell with a slight 'whoosh' sounding from her slightly parted lips. I tucked a lock of her golden blonde hair behind her ear, admiring her beauty.

Kara Zor-El Danvers was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. Those eyes, her long, thick eyelashes that would sometimes get stuck in her eye and she would always complain about it. Her plump and full lips that I had always longed to kiss. Her cute nose that she had always said she hated. The scar above her left eyebrow that she was always self-conscious about. If you got close enough, you could see faint freckles painted over the bridge of her nose and her cheeks.

I had grown to love the way her laugh sounded. It sounded like a hum that radiated happiness and pure joy. The way whenever someone called her name, she would hum a 'Hmmn' that, if she were laying on my chest or vice versa, would tickle. Her voice. If her voice were an object or a thing, I would say that it would be oozing honey. Warmth and a feeling of safeness.

And don't get me started on that smile. Oh, lord, that smile...

Nevertheless, the blonde reporter/heroine was my safe haven, as I was hers. I loved to hold her at night, and I was happy that I was able to hold her once again tonight. I wanted to be able to hold her, but this time the blonde be happy.

I wished that I could take away all of Kara's pain. Absorb it. I wanted to whisk her worries away with gentle kisses. But, some things happen for a reason.

As I drifted off to sleep with the love of my life nestled into my arms, I realized one thing. I was madly, deeply, and utterly in love with this woman.

.

.

.

As I woke up, Kara wasn't in my arms. She was sitting at the end of the bed, rocking herself back and forth, her shoulders shaking. I could hear muffled sobs from her, and I immediately moved forward and wrapped my arms around her.