The Immortals and Their Frivolous Games

I hope the difference in storytelling and change of vibes doesn't throw you guys off too much, it's been a minute and I've changed quite a bit. Give a shot though, you might be surprised. (Maybe. Hopefully)

In the aftermath of the alleged betrayal, things seem to settle. Not in the peaceful, all was well, happily ever after kind of way. In the calm before the storm, waves retreating, natural disaster about to happen kind of way.

The Warriors, sworn by oath and loyalty to the only being that has ever shown them unconditional kindness, stand down. They listen carefully every time their friends send word from home. Every order Chaos gives is taken as law, even when they seem unreasonable, unjust. Even when he tells them that patience is the key to all wars and all battles.

The Campers, young as if they haven't faced more wars than most mortal adults, plan. They hold more meetings than there are hours in the day, take every feasible scenario into consideration, and when that river has run its course they start looking into the unfeasible ones too. Their memories scarred not by what they have seen, but by what could have been if only they had done the impossible- if only they had predicted the future.

And the Angels of Harmony, in all their grace and tears, stand by the war tables. One on each side. Not realizing their roles, not understanding what they're meant to be doing now that they're not meant to be dying.

Piper lets her fear overtake her judgment. Karma, The Lady of Balance would say, that's what happens when you mess with the mind, the mind starts to mess with you. Her vision becomes clouded with fear and paranoia. Is she a product of beauty or of a world so ugly it doesn't let its inhabitants live freely?

At least Zoe has an excuse not to see her role in this. She, quite literally, can't see. But then again, how many nights did she spend by Artemis' side in the dark woods, not being able to see where her bow ends and her arrow begins. Her sense of self had always been as clear as the stars scattered around the sky on those hunts. Balance, Harmony sings, there must always be balance.

How could two girls, tried by fire and water and all that the immortals had to throw at them not see that in their bravery they had been promoted. Turned from humble foot soldiers into creatures of peace, meant to make their people see reason, even when they could not see themselves.

In all the commotion, all the sharpening of blades, the scribbles on paper, no one stops. No one looks at person standing next to them and questions their loyalty. When you're on the battle field, you don't have time to look at your own. After all, if you stare long enough, you may start questioning if you're too different to be considered one.

Maybe that's how it happens, how friendly fire remains unquestioned, how traitors are left alone for so long they stop being traitors and become undercovers.

Grover, who once felt guilt and disgust and all the undesirable feelings a human- a satyr- can feel, becomes one with his calling. He is, after all, a creature of nature. He was born with one goal, and one goal only. How could the children of Athena, goddess of Wisdom and War Strategy, not see that his calling was not to their kind but to his own. To Earth. To Gaea.

Perhaps it was this oversight that broke the camels back. That escalated a problem into a conflict, a conflict into a battle, a battle into a war.

And Chaos, whose warriors- whose kids- were left to fend for themselves in unfriendly territory, was the first to snap.

But is anyone really surprised?

Is anyone genuinely shocked that the one higher power that actually cares was the first one to make a move on the chess board?

The Warriors sure were, when they received word from their friends that they were to flee the camp. That things weren't as clear as they had originally thought.

You can imagine their surprise when they heard that they were to return to the forest where they found Aurora. There, they were told, is where they'll be based. They didn't take this news laying down, though, they protested.

"We will be closer to Gaea. In the middle of the woods, amongst the trees that answer to their mother's orders."

"Exactly." Chaos said.

And how funny it is, that sometimes what starts off as a lie becomes a prediction. And how sometimes a prediction becomes the truth. Who knew Grover had a little Oracle in him.

In the game of death and immortality, sometimes there is no right and wrong.

Sometimes, it's only a matter of loyalty.

I honestly don't know if anyone even reads this anymore but....

Sooooo, this chapter is a little different. More of a story/ character study kind of thing. But it was dawn and I was just reading your guys' comments and I felt this coming up and decided to write it down. It's been a while, and I've been really feeling the slam poetry thing lately, so maybe that's where this came from.

I'm sorry for ghosting you guys for a minute, and I can't promise that I'll update again soon, but this is kind of me setting up the plot and conflict a bit for the future.

ETA: Forgot to say, let me know what you guys think, even if it's just bad. Hope everyone is doing okay with everything going on!