Jealousy's flare

The shrill sound of my alarm pulls me from sleep the next morning. Dreading the new girl role I'll be playing all day, I lay in bed for a while until I'm forced to roll out of bed like it's going to kill me. Washing away all traces that I've overslept I opt for just light mascara and Chapstick, and make my hair pin straight. I pull on black high waisted skinny jeans, tuck a blue striped top into them and shrug my jean jacket overtop. Popping a bagel into my mouth, I pull on some heeled boots and rush out the door.

The drive to LaPush high is mercifully short and I make it with time to spare. After running to the office to collect my timetable, I just make it to my first class as the bell goes. Thankfully I see familiar faces right at the back. Jacob, Embry and Paul wave me over and I take my place next to them.

Class is about halfway done and I can feel Paul's gaze on the side of my face. I turn to him and send him a questioning look. He smirks at me and slides a note to my desk

You look really beautiful today :)

I hide the note under my hand and feel my face heat up. Paul's smirk only grows at my reaction and he turns his attention back to the teacher, satisfied with the effect he had on me.

Paul follows me around like a puppy all day, and I find myself loving every minute of it. He's right next to me when he can be, and for every class I have without him, he's right there at the door when the bell rings to walk me to my next one. I'm all anyone is talking about all day. No one knows that my supernatural hearing picks up everything they're saying. Most of it is just curious whispers about me, but I cringe at the few people telling stories about why we left town in the first place and the things they have to say about my family. The best is all the glares I'm getting from most of the girls, who reek of jealousy watching Paul walk in step beside me all day, giving me all of his attention. One girl even tries to flirt with him right in front of me.

"Hey Babe. How're you today?" This girl asks, bringing her hand to rest on Paul's bicep. Without my permission jealousy flares up inside me. I see the girl's confidence waver as our eyes lock and I raise my eyebrow at her. Damn this imprint thing is ridiculous. You barely know him Lucy.  I think to myself taking a deep breath. I can't seem to un-ball my fists though and the girls eyes glance worriedly down at them. Paul seems to enjoy my reaction and rudely shrugs the girl off and turns his attention to me, brushing my hair behind my ear with a smirk.

"You know, I don't think I've ever seen something quite as hot as you staking your claim." He whispers in my ear in a husky voice that sends shivers down my spine. He steps back to gauge my reaction to his words and I smile sweetly at him biting my lip. His eyes darken at the sight.

The girl is staring at us with her jaw on the floor, so I send her a wink and start for the door, Paul hot on my heels chuckling loudly behind me.

I trudge through the rain up the porch steps of Sam and Emily's house and barge in without knocking. I figured if the second cousin pass doesn't earn me the right, the pack member pass will. I'm proved right when Emily calls to me from the kitchen.

"If you trail mud into my house Luce there'll be hell to pay. Come dry off and have some soup!"

Quickly rubbing my shoes on the doormat, I turn the corner to find her standing over an absurdly large pot of soup on the stove and offer my aid in preparing the rest of dinner for the horde of always hungry teenage werewolves.

Some of the boys went out for patrol right after school, and I'm to go out with them and learn the lay of the land after dinner. It's then that I hear them start piling through the front door and taking their places automatically at the table.

"Hello ladies." Embry says as Paul silently wraps me in a hug, as if we hadn't just seen each other a few hours ago.

"How was your first day of school Little one?" Sam asks. He's taken to calling me that cause he thinks it's hilarious that all of the boys tower over me. I swear I'm not that short, they're all just obnoxiously huge.

"She almost knocked out Cierra. You know that girl Paul used to  hook up with?" Embry blurts out. Paul's eyes go wide. He hadn't mentioned that bit earlier. But I laugh at the memory of her jaw on the floor. Paul looks at me nervously like he's waiting for me to snap.

"What? Should I be mad? I don't care. I've slept with people too. Last time we saw each other before yesterday we were like 8!" Paul's eyes narrowed at the news of my history, but I just give him a playful glare.

After dinner, Sam pulls me out of the house and we shift into our wolves.

So we all take turns running patrol. Our territory is everything west of Forks. The Cullens protect what's east of that. We'll run the perimeter together now so you can get to know where the lines are. It's pretty hard to miss where the Cullens territory starts, the smell will burn up your nose. I try to make sure the shifts are even, but you'll have to give up school and nights every once in a while. Once we get to the treaty line you'll be able to pick up the scent of the Cullens. You'll come to recognize it pretty quickly. So if you ever catch a whiff of a vampire that isn't then, howl and the rest of the pack with come help. You're expected to do that same, if you hear a howl, you come cause someone could be in danger.

I make sure to take in everything Sam says. He explains things really well and in a way that makes me want to listen. The mark of a good Alpha. I make a huge fuss about the smell of vampires when we reach it, but I learn the Cullens scents and lock them in my memory. We run the whole perimeter and back to the house, Sam explaining how everything works the whole time. By the end of my training, I feel like I can do this well and relish the feeling of belonging. These guys want me here, and I want nothing more than to become a fully fledged member of this family. Getting lost in my mind, it startles me when Sam answers my private thoughts.

"You're already part of this family little one. Even if you weren't a wolf, being Paul's imprint would make you a pack member. But you hit the double whammy. We are your brothers now, and we take care of each other in this family."

A warmth radiates through my chest at Sam's words. And I feel at home.