Fallen logs

I make my way through Sam and Emily's house, out the front door and down the street, until my crazy wolf hearing can't hear the rowdy boys anymore. I sit down on a fallen log and feel Paul sit down next to me.

You sit in silence for a while until Paul's smooth voice breaks through the night air.

"I've seen what imprinting does to someone in Sam and Jared's minds. You know it always kind of pissed me off that they just didn't seem to belong to themselves anymore. How they just kind of morphed into one big hermaphroditic blob." You giggle at this, making Paul turn to you with a soft smile. "But honestly, I've never felt more myself."

That has to be the sweetest thing you've ever had someone say to you.

"Well good. I wouldn't want you to be anything else..... What are you wanting this to be between us Paul?" I ask, skipping straight to the point. You can see Paul thinking over his answer before replying

"I'm not gonna lie, I want you to be my girl. But we haven't really seen eachother in like 8 years. I don't want to force you into something the second you've moved back home."

I let out a sigh I didn't know I was holding in.

"Ok cool. Then maybe we should just focus on getting to know each other again first. Be friends for a while."

Paul nods along and I rub his arm in gratitude.

"I hope you know though that I'm charming as hell. It might be hard for you to resist this." He says sending you into a fit of giggles.

"Oh I have no doubt. I'll try my very best. No promises though."

We fall into a steady conversation, catching up on the last 8 years we've missed. He tells me about his parents divorce, and I tell him about life in Vancouver. Leaving out a few key details... He tells me about life in the pack and fills me in on all the nonsense with the chief's daughter.

A hot surge of rage flashes through me when he tells me Bella slapped him. Paul smirks at my reaction and goes on to tell me that she went comatose when her bloodsucker left, and about all the murderous vampires hanging around town.

"We took down dreadlocks no problem. But there's this crazy red head who we can't seem to get. She keeps coming back."

Paul's just started ranting about Jacob's weird obsession with Bella when you see Jared and Kim drive past you, Jared giving a loud cat call out the window. Man you guys must have been out here talking for longer than you thought. Heading back to the house, you bid everyone a goodnight and promise Sam you'll be back to start training with him. Paul walks me to the door and before I can lose my nerve, I hop on my tiptoes and peck him on the cheek. Leaving him stunned in the doorway, my aunt and I take off in the truck and head to my new home.