Chapter Nine: Cursed Parchment

~Chapter Nine: Cursed Parchment~

It is only my present company that keeps me from groaning in frustration. No, actually, it is not even my present company, as most of them are clearly traitors with how unsurprised they appear - aside from Veles, who noticeably paled - by Odin's request; it is my pride as a god and my unwillingness to reveal just how much I hate Odin in this moment.

And respect, but for the sake of my anger, that doesn't matter as much.

I could argue against Odin's request and ask that he choose something else, just as I could start plotting how to forge a document while figuring out which member of my pantheon is most likely to be willing to go behind the Dagda's back. However, I can tell by the stubborn set to Odin's jaw and the way he is watching me so patiently with his single eye that he is not going to change his mind, and if I were to try to pull a trick, he would know. Or Loki would figure it out, which is basically the same thing since Loki would promptly then tell Odin. Not because he is necessarily completely loyal to Odin, as no chaos god of trickery and deception can ever truly be counted on to be completely loyal to their ruler, but because he is clearly siding with Odin in this, as he has not looked at me once since this began.

"I will wait to hear back from Cronus or Atlas," I tell him grudgingly, only holding my complaints back by a thread. The fact that Odin actually seems surprised by my lack of fight is a bit rewarding, but the fact remains, if the Dagda reacts the way I expect him to, I am not sure if I will be able to go through with the plan Hades devised. However, without the Norse gods, I am not sure if I even would succeed in the extraction part of the plan. I could probably go to the Slavs, but again, that would mean a bigger target on Veles' back, and I have no doubt that once my former student thinks Odin's request over, he would convince Perun to make the same deal.

So, how much do I need their help?

Since the answer is regretfully 'enough,' as my options are severely limited by how long I have been out of the political circles, I just accept this as something I will have to work with, even as uncertainties begin to slowly worm their way through my earlier confidence. Fortunately, though, Odin does not demand more, as he just accepts, "So long as I receive a response before you enter the Hades' gates."

The conversation continues for another few minutes, but it only manages to keep half of my attention, as a gradually-growing pit of nauseous anxiety has taken root in my stomach, and most of my answers are automatic rather than thoughtful since I am too focused on keeping my fingers from tapping my leg to really care. The moment Veles, Loki, and I leave the throne room after being dismissed, though, my mounting fear rapidly switches into a burning ball of frustrated anger because it is easier to blame than worry, so I turn on Loki and jab him in the chest with my finger. "You knew," I hiss accusingly, "yet you didn't warn me."

"It was my idea," Loki replies, staring back at me unwaveringly while completely disregarding my finger. "And would warning you have even helped? Or would it have made you nervous, potentially worsening your condition at the time?"

"And what of my condition just now?" I demand, retracting my finger when it starts to twitch, as my hands are beginning to feel a bit shaky. "Or, better yet, why didn't you think of my condition when you proposed it to Odin in the first place?"

Loki steps forward into my personal space, toe-to-toe, and over his shoulder, I can see Veles twitch, uncertain of what to do. "That's exactly why I suggested it, Ainmire," he growls, his voice dipping into the gravelly tone that only jotunn can achieve. "We didn't know what Hades proposed, but we knew it was going to be something dangerous."

He pauses to take a deep breath. "It may be rushing the inevitable, if what you said about hiding the Titans with the Dagda is true," Loki continues, quieter, "but we also know that it has been far too long since you were with your pantheon, and you need them just as much as they need you, especially before you attempt something like this. You are always welcome here, but this is not your home, just a safe place to hide."

The Captive Titan [ManxMan]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara