Chapter Thirty-nine: Hold it Together

~Chapter Thirty-nine: Hold it Together~

Just as I reach for the doorknob of our room, hands slide down from my shoulders to rest on my hips before a chest presses against my back and a chin rests on the top of my head. "Are you sure about this?" Atlas asks, and I can feel the rumble of his voice through his chest.

Even though I am not sure at all and shake my head to show it, my answer is still simple: "I have to go."

With his chin on my head, I can feel him shaking his head as well. "Gaia wants you there, but you don't have to go," Atlas reminds me, gripping my hips just a little bit tighter in what I can only guess as concern. He has not liked this idea from the beginning, and this has been made especially clear in the last few days, as he has been expressing his dislike more vocally lately since the stress of the impending date has really been weighing on him.

Still, though I know to take his concern seriously, as he is not the type of Titan to worry unnecessarily, his attempts to talk me out of going have not changed my mind.

"I have to go," I repeat, leaning back against him, even though we will risk being late if we do not leave now.

There was never a set time or day when the plan was decided, but Hermes arrived about an hour ago, carrying a message from Gaia that announced that today would be day. Because of this, my uncle decided that everyone going would meet him in the courtyard at the end of the hour before we go first to the Dagda, who is at the rest of our pantheon's temporary home in Faerie, and then, after collecting him and anyone else joining us, to Mount Olympus. Gaia should already be there by the time we arrive, though she has not told us where, just that she will meet us along the way.

Taking a deep breath, I decisively add, "I need to go."

It has been made clear to me over the last few days that Atlas does not understand - or perhaps refuses to understand - why I need to see Zeus' fall with my own two eyes rather than hearing the story secondhand, but at least his concern has not led to more than a heated debate, and for that, I am thankful. After all, I do not want to truly fight him over this because I am certain that if he chose to find some way to stop me, he would be successful. Of course, he would feel my wrath upon his return, but he would get his wish of leaving me behind somewhere safe, and I would miss out on seeing Zeus' end.

And it is for the reason that I know I will be able to go if I so choose that I feel bad for Veles.

After all, I at least am allowed to go, even if everyone by the Dagda - from my uncle to the rest of the Titans - is eager to leave me behind. Veles, though, was invited to join us since Gaia never mentioned not being allowed to involve other pantheons, but while Perun was apparently willing to consider the idea, Hors put his foot down. Neither Perun nor Veles have been allowed to participate, even just as observers, since it would be too big of a risk to allow Veles in the same room with Zeus and including a third king god into the mix would likely be a mistake, so they will have to settle for second-hand reassurances of Zeus' downfall.

I feel bad for Veles, but I'm also glad I'm not in his position.

After taking a moment to consider my words, the Titan hums noncommittally before applying a little pressure to my shoulders in a silent request for me to turn around, so I do, his hands leaving my shoulders to accommodate the turn but not letting go for long. Once I am looking him in the eye, he asks, "Will you be okay?"

With how few times I visited Mount Olympus before the Titanomachy, I should be fine regarding episodes based on old memories, but since I have no way of knowing what will be waiting for us in the Greek gods' halls, there is no assurance I could give that I would be able to say with complete honesty. I would like to say that I will not have an episode while the Titans are at risk of having to fight for their lives and continued freedom, but there is no way of knowing that until the mission is over - whether by completion or failure.