Chapter Seven: The viewing

Glens POV

Mark woke up a few hours later and I filled him on in the conversation I had with Ailish (this is Danny's mother's name, Rest In Peace) and Andrea (his sister).
"So they on their way?" He asks calmly, he looked emotionally drained and looked up at me with a different face. His eyes were dull like there was no sense of life in them.
"Yep," I answer quietly. "They already lost Shay now Danny."
He looks away from me, now just staring at his hands. I open my mouth to say something but a doctor walks in.
"Hello I'm Dr. Roberts, I was the Dr who operated on him. Would you like to see him?" He asks politely.

"Can we see him with his family?" I ask.
"Of course. I'm sorry for the loss." He gives me a weak smile before departing, and at that moment another doctor walks in.
"Feeling better Mr. Sheehan?" The new doctor asks Mark.
"Yes thanks," Mark replies still looking grim. They began doing some basic examinations and asking him questions. I need to walk, and get air.
"I'll be back soon, text me if they get here before I return ok?"
Mark nods still not looking at me, I walk away, and go outside, the sun is rising, and I sit near the curb. I rub my hair, holding it to my knees.
"Why did you take Danny away? Why him? He wasn't meant to leave." Tears form in my eyes, and here I go again. I lose myself in my own world of thoughts before I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, are you okay?" The nurse I met before, was dressed in casual clothes now.
"Yeah, I'm fine." I spat a bit rudely
"Are you sure..?" She asks concerned.
"NO, OF COURSE, I'M NOT!! MY BEST FRIEND IS DEAD! AND YOU PROMISED HE WILL BE OKAY!!" I scream at her, I instantly feel guilt swarming me. I put my head down, not looking at her. Clenching my first together trying to keep my cool.
She doesn't back away, nor does she cry, she's not remotely scared. I feel tears falling down my eyes like a lake, I quickly try to wipe them away.

"I'm sorry, I should've never promised something I can't keep, I will leave you alone."
She walks away, and I look back up I want to apologize but my screaming made me feel the tiniest bit better.
"Glen who was that?" Andrea questions behind me. I spun around, her eyes had bags underneath them. Behind her stood Ian, Dara, Vicky, and Mandy along with Ailish. They all looked exhausted. They all had bags and red eyes, holding onto one another for support,
"No one...I just...I don't know" I spit out randomly.
"Where is he?" Ian asks me. I solemnly lead them all back to the hospital.

1 hour later...

We walk in the door and see the outline of a  body, a white cloth covering it.
"Ready?" The doctor asks looking at all of us.
"Before we see him, is he clean?" Vicky asks.
"Yes, we clean up the bodies before we allow family members to see them."
He removes the white cloth from the body, the brown hair, had no blood, and his face was clean and smooth. His eyes closed he looked peaceful. His clothes were fresh and clean. We all stay silent. There are no words, nothing anyone can say. I feel Mark shaking beside me, then Ailish begins to wail, walking up and touching Danny's face. I feel my heart break into a million pieces hearing her cry, there's nothing more painful.
"My baby, my sweet baby" she wails, now sobbing uncontrollably. Andrea, Mandy, and Vicky all hold onto her, crying silently beside her.

I look at Mark and see tears, Ian walks up to Mark and hugs him tightly.
"Thank you for helping Danny for all these years, for being his best friend and brother." He says to Mark.
"We are grateful for everything you've done for Danny...both of you," Ian says giving me an encouraging nod, eyes now glassy as he too goes to stand near his brother and hold his hand.

I watch them suffer and there is nothing I can do. I can't keep watching anymore, I can't keep looking at Danny...he's here in this room, he's just not here. He's not alive, I feel my heart squeeze tighter if possible, not ashamed to let all my emotions out in the open. I can't even fathom this, I can't even think straight, this all still feels like a dream.